GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Check gauges light/trans not shifting

Hi, I have a 99 Suburban that has a check gauges lit up and the gauges don't work (no speedo/tech fuel gauge jumps around)and the trans doesn't shift and no overdrive. I can shift it manually 1st 2nd 3rd but still no overdrive. It has trouble codes for the shift solenoids and tcc but I don't want to change parts that I don't need too.Any ideas what is the cause. Thanks

Did it all happen at the same time? If so I would start looking for a broken ground somewhere.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Yes it happened at the same time. I turned it off and when I restarted the truck it's been that way.

I will look around to see if I have a diagram for that truck. If i do, I will try to find some link between all the problems you are having. Who knows, maybe someone else will post an answer before I can track it down

Ok Thanks. If it is a broken ground maybe it will help where to look for it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0307.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	42742

I only had a few minuted to look into it today. Here is a diagram of the Vss control circuit. I would start looking at the ground for the PCM. I took one big picture and a picture of each half to try to get a closer view.

Name:	IMG_0306.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	42743

Name:	IMG_0305.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	42744

Quote Originally Posted by 19suburban99 View Post
    Hi, I have a 99 Suburban that has a check gauges lit up and the gauges don't work (no speedo/tech fuel gauge jumps around)and the trans doesn't shift and no overdrive. I can shift it manually 1st 2nd 3rd but still no overdrive. It has trouble codes for the shift solenoids and tcc but I don't want to change parts that I don't need too.Any ideas what is the cause. Thanks
    I would check for power supply voltages and ground. Start with the battery with engine off. With engine ON, test battery voltage make sure it is = or >13V <15V.

As far as the cluster ,trace the constant 12V feed and ignition switched 12V feed on the cluster connector. I would look for a power feed wire like a red or pink or orange wire. It would be nice to get hold of a schematic wiring diagram.

Then test the ground wire on the cluster connector resistance to chassis. Usually the ground wire is a black/white striped wire. it should have a very low resistance to good continuity. If the resistance is high, that will be suspect.

As far as the tranny not shifting, I would just take it to the dealer for diagnostics.

Good luck.
    2011 Chevy Silverado LT 4WD 30k miles
    2001 Suburban 2WD, 5.3, V8 185k miles
    1993 964
    1996 318TI

So I cant find any grounding issues but I got the codes read P1860,P0758,P0740 and P0753. They are solenoid codes. I was told it might be the ignition switch does that sound right.

Has anyone though about it might be a computer issue? The on board controls all of those systems so if it is malfunctioning then those systems all would be effected. Does the engine also run rough?

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

No the engine runs great.