GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Recurring CEL Evap Error code 2007 Silverado

I have been having a recurring CEL due to a Evap error code. I just wanted to post this so if anyone else experiences this it might save you some time troubleshooting your truck. Keep in mind this is all from the same Evap error code every time. Also keep in mind this truck only has 32,000 miles and is well maintained.

I first bought a new OEM gas cap from the dealer- Did not fix CEL returned after about 7-10 days
    Took to dealer, they replaced a fuel vent valve (or something similar)-Did not fix, CEL returned after about 7-10 days
    Returned to dealer, they replaced a fuel sensor switch(something to that effect)-Did not fix, CEL returned after 7-10 days
    Returned to dealer, they said it was the gas cap. I explained I had already bought a OEM cap from them, they still replaced it with another one.-Did not fix, CEL returned about 7-10 days

Returned to dealer about 2-3 weeks after CEL had come on and they said they couldn't get a reading because it had been on for so long. They cleared the code and said come back as soon as it comes back on.

Went to dealer within hours of CEL coming on, they tried to say it was the gas cap, again... cleared code and sent me home. 2 days later CEL came back on.
    I emailed Chevy service directly and got a district service manager involved. I took my truck in and this time they decided to pull the gas tank, said there was something partially clogging the sending unit. They have kept it overnight and are supposed to be testing it this morning. Hopefully this will be the last time I have to deal with this issue. Hopefully this will help you if you start to experience the same problems.

Overall if I hadn't of complained to Chevy directly I don't think this particular dealership would have ever put any effort into fixing my truck. When they finally decided that they would have to do some real work on it, (not just run the code, and clear it) they didn't want to give me a loaner car, and actually complained about not having one left if they gave me one. I explained to them that the district manager had said they would give me one, they finally let me take it.

Lastly, the district service manager told me that he couldn't guarantee that the technicians that were working on my truck were actually certified techs... I thought that was a prerequisite to work at a dealership?

2007 Silverado 1500 LT Ext Cab 4.8l, 2007 Suzuki XL-7, 2012 H-D Sportster "Seventy-Two"

Legend

so what did they actually do to correct this ? did they replace the evap intank sensor ?

If that was the problem this is not all that common with a gas cap code.

what was the code any way ?

with the interval of failure I would guess it was an electrical , not leak issue. with that type of failure the dealership techs are going to have a very hard time to find it.. a leak is a leak, with a electrical intermittent this will not create an easy repair .

Right now I cant remember the code, but I have gone about 3-4 months with no CEL, so I think they finally fixed it. The very last thing they did was replace the charcoal canister in the fuel tank. They told me it had disintegrated and all the particles were getting into the fuel line causing the CEL. I believe the previous near-fix was the in tank sensor, but not certain.

My biggest frustration was the total lack of interest the dealership had with my truck. They showed no interest in troubleshooting to find the fault, they tried a bunch of quick fix in and out cross your fingers type things. I live about 30 miles from the dealership and the total time wasted (and fuel) to keep replacing gas caps, and other real simple things was wearing on me. If I hadn't had called the GM direct service people I don't think this dealership would have ever fixed it. I live in a remote location and the only other dealership is about an hour and a half away.

2007 Silverado 1500 LT Ext Cab 4.8l, 2007 Suzuki XL-7, 2012 H-D Sportster "Seventy-Two"