GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Chilton or Haynes?

Can't decide which one to get, Which one is typically a better manual? Chilton or Hayne's? Thanks.

I have a Haynes ( 99-2005) and my friend has a Chilton ( 99-2006). We noticed they have the same pictures and writings/directions.
    :cool:

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
    6" Skyjacker lift w/Edlebrock dual front remote resoviour shocks, single rear remote. Rancho skid-plate.
    17" x 9" M/T Classic Lock Wheels, 35" BFG A/T or M/T tires
    4.10 PercisionGears w/factory locker, T/A Performance rear-end cover
    Banks CAI intake, ported throttlebody, JBA coated headers, over-sized Magnaflow cats, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Diablo tuned
    B&M aluminum deep transmission pan
    Warn brush guard w/Warn 9.5 XP winch, PIAA bulbs, Line-X bedliner, AWS Black tool chest, Extang tonneau cover
    Weather Tech floor mats
    Cover-Craft seat covers
    Dash mat cover
    Formula One window tint
    One black Lab in rear seat.
    :glasses:

I have a Haynes and I like the manual overall, even though it could be better descriptive IMO but I have not used the Chilton either.
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

Blog Entries

i read somewhere on the forum that someone uses the gm tech manual, how do you get your hands on one of those?

2000 Silverado, 4.8L, LS
    3" Dynomax cat back exhaust
    Drop-in K&N air filter
    200 amp Nations alternator
    KYB GR2 Shocks
    Bluetooth OBD2 adapter with Torque App on Samsung Note 2
    Custom Stereo System l Pioneer/ Boss door Speakers l 1200 watt Performance Teknique amp l 1 farad capacitor l 2 12" kicker comp subwoofers
    Slider rear window l Locking tailgate, de-baged l 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires l Fully synthetic oil l Tinted windows
    4l65e upgrades - five pinion planetaries l HD sun shell l high performance band

I purchased my GM manual on EBAY it is on a CD

Now when you say GM Manual, What exactly is this?

Legend
    Blog Entries

I have the Haynes manual and I found that it is soft enough but does not have that fresh scent usually associated with toilet paper. But it gets the job done in the bathroom much better than in the garage where I thought it was border line useless.

I prefer the Helms Manuals. Factory authorized 4 volume set measuring out around 8" thick for my 98. Covers everything in more detail than you can imagine. Diagnostic procedures, description of the function of the individual components and repair / replacements details. Cost a little more than Chilton and Haynes but if your truck is a keeper, they are worth their weight in US dollars.

Blog Entries

nice, thanks caddi

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caddiac View Post
    I have the Haynes manual and I found that it is soft enough but does not have that fresh scent usually associated with toilet paper. But it gets the job done in the bathroom much better than in the garage where I thought it was border line useless.
    The problem with the roughness and lack of fresh scent is due to your impatience. You need take the time and let the Haynes sit for several days in an extremely humid environment (i.e. sauna on low) and have it surrounded with natural scents such as lilacs. Please keep in mind that if you are looking for additional strength as well, it might make sense to place waxed paper between every two pages in the Haynes while steaming, thus creating the ever-popular "two-ply".

Good luck with this mod and don't forget the pics!!!
    Last edited by mfleetwood; 06-22-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caddiac View Post

---------- Post added 06-21-2011 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 06-20-2011 at 11:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    The problem with the roughness and lack of fresh scent is due to your impatience. You need take the time and let the Haynes sit for several days in an extremely humid environment (i.e. sauna on low) and have it surrounded with natural scents such as lilacs. Please keep in mind that if you are looking for additional strength as well, it might make sense place waxed paper between every two pages in the Haynes while steaming, thus creating the ever-popular "two-ply".

Good luck with this mod and don't forget the pics!!!

Jerry Seinfeld & Rich Little in the house at the same time. We are truely blessed
    1988 Chevy C-3500 2wd (no pic)
    350 c.i. 5.7 L Stock Block, 4 Bolt Mains
    L-31 Vortec Heads, Edelbrock Cam & Intake,
    Holley 650, Flowtech Headers, Magnaflow exh.
    Jet Trans 700R4, B&M Ratchet, 4:10 gears,
    3" susp. lift kit "shadetree"
    No rev limiter, No speed limiter lol

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by