GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to get stuck front rotors off

So a friend an I proceeded to replace my rotors today, thinking the rear ones would be the ones causing us trouble because of the e-brake in the drum.

Well we got the rear ones done in no time flat.

Then we started on the front ones and they will not come off. We used PB/ WD-40, a large metal mallet, and the front rotors will not come off the truck.

Any suggestions?

Oh, forgot to mention, the Truck has 4 wheel disc's but the emergency brake is in a drum on the rear disc.
    Last edited by PantheraUncia; 08-04-2012 at 05:16 PM.

gear puller may work, if a metal mallet dosnt work, try a good dead blow hammer. sometimes they work better.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Sorry to ask, as you may have already done this, but on my Truck there is a Retainer Clip, on 1 of the Stud's on the Front Rotor's??.......the Clip is Number # 16,

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 08-04-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Hi Heartbeat,

Yes we removed the retainer clips by cutting them off with snip tools there were 2 of them opposite each other. and that diagram is correct. # 15 will not come off the hub for some reason.

Trust me, the mallot was about 5 lbs, and our ears are still ringing, it does not want to come off the hub.

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    Hi Heartbeat,

Yes we removed the retainer clips by cutting them off with snip tools there were 2 of them opposite each other. and that diagram is correct. # 15 will not come off the hub for some reason.

Trust me, the mallot was about 5 lbs, and our ears are still ringing, it does not want to come off the hub.
    Once again Sorry....I though it was worth mentioning, and as to Why the Rotor's are Not Coming Off, You got me????.....
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 08-04-2012 at 08:15 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

huh, try hitting the top then the bottom in turn, a side to side motion if you will. if that wont work, get a torch maybe, heat the rotor then try wackin it.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    Once again Sorry....I though it was worth mentioning, and as to Why the Rotor's are Not Coming Off, You got me????.....

No Worries Heartbeat, I just want to get the things off the truck

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    huh, try hitting the top then the bottom in turn, a side to side motion if you will. if that wont work, get a torch maybe, heat the rotor then try wackin it.

Alex
    Heating up the rotor should help break it free with a few good wacks from a big hammer Seriously though, how does heating it up help and should I heat it up from the front or back or close to the middle where it potentially is stuck? ( never took a torch to something to help loosen anything )

It's a rotor, so it routinely gets hot just by the nature of its function. Heating causes expansion, which might help -- just try to apply the heat evenly.

what surreal said.

a air hammer might help as well if you have access to one. lots of times the vibration will break loose the corrosion.

Alex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast