GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 37's with 4.10 gears???

hey guys i have 08 scsb 5.3 z71 4x4 with 4.10s stock. im puttin on some 37's and wont be able to regear for at least a yr.....how do you think it will handle and mpg's? also truck will have cai, tbs, and tuned for economy/towing with the known gear and tire ratio....to help with shifting and wat not. wat yall think i'll be ok to hold out until i can regear??

I think it'll be atrocious to get going from a stop and on mild inclines you'll downshift (i.e. drop out of overdrive at highway speeds). I'm running 4.56's for my 34's (I'd run the same for 35's) and it's near-stock performance (I originally had 3.73's) with a slight bias for power. If I were running 37's I'd run no less than 4.88's, gear-wise...

A year with those gears is a long, long time. You can do it, but it's going to be extra wear on your tranny ESPECIALLY when towing ... and you'll take a mpg hit when getting off the line as well as when on a mild incline at highway speed due to the downshifting you'd not otherwise do.

i want to re-gear but i have to drive 5 hrs to atlanta leave my truck there for 2 days then drive back roads and stop for 30 mins every 25-50 miles until i hit 150 miles oh and its gonna be about 1600 installed out the door. plus the gas for all this will just be ridiculous u kno.....i really wanna find a shop that will install gears closer to base but nothing pops-up on google so idk

1600 is about right for a 4wd since you're doing front and rear (with the front being the bigger time suck/pain of the two). Two days, however, is ridiculous. There's no reason they can't get your truck in the morning and have it back to you by the end of the same day if they know what they're doing.

My break-in period was akin to what you describe ... i.e. 500 miles of running for only 25-50 miles before one lets the gears cool down ... and after 500 miles the diff fluid had to be changed. Failure to adhere to these requirements would result in loss of warranty coverage on the parts and labor.

I suppose I was lucky, as ECGS (East Coast Gear Supply) is just down the road from me.

if your only doing highway driving it might be ok nor a year aslong as your not drivng with a real heavy foot all the time but saying all that it might not hold up. im running 35's on my 3.73 for 9 months now and i havnt had a prioblem yet.

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

First off I think you'll be extremely dissappointed with your truck after you put that large of a tire without regearing. No amount of upgrades short of a supercharger will help and even that would be a bandaid.
    next how long do you expect the front diff and Cv's to last with this size tire? Long would not be a word id use pertaining to its life.
    and finally are you going to do anything about upgrading braking?
    in a nutshell if you put this size tire on your truck without properly upgrading other systems expect to spend a lot more money on repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Burden33 View Post
    if your only doing highway driving it might be ok nor a year aslong as your not drivng with a real heavy foot all the time but saying all that it might not hold up. im running 35's on my 3.73 for 9 months now and i havnt had a prioblem yet.
    37's for highway driving? I know of no one who puts 37's on a vehicle for .... highway driving. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    37's for highway driving? I know of no one who puts 37's on a vehicle for .... highway driving. LOL!
    good point i never thought about that but i will be when i go out to get my new gears put on. Thats if i goes that big. but tbplus has a point your better off going with 35's

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

Blog Entries

This is exactly why i'm not going to be doing anything to my truck until I get back from all my training 7 1/2 months from now. It'll give me time to save money and I will also be able to do it all at once, lift kit, bigger tires, re gear, and more.

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, there is no need to embarrass him."

2012 Silverado 1500 Texas Edition 4x4 LT skid plate, 5000k 55W low beams with DRL fuse removed, 5000k 35W fog lamps.

Leveling kit and tires coming soon.

Leaving for boot camp at MCRDSD 20121008.

All the above is true. The other issue that tbplus said was about repairs. I would worry about the strength of the axle's. Adding a tire that large is adding a lot of stress to them. It might be fine if the only offroading you are doing is in a mall parking lot but if you are going to be wheeling that thing I am not sure how long they will last.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast