GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Door Pin Replacement

Bought some replacement hinge pins from Jegs (actually cheaper than anywhere else even with shipping and they got here in 2 days...I nit you shot); anyway, I was thinking about replacing them tomorrow...well today actually. They shipped me 4 pins to do the top and bottom hinges so I will be doing both. May have a helper if she knows how to hold a door steady .

Only thing is, I have no idea how to even begin doing this. If anyone can give me some weekend warrior/semi professional/professional advice on how to, and what tools I'm gonna need, any help is greatly appreciated.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

1.Open the door and place a small stool under the bottom of the door to support it.

2.Remove the bottom retention spring on the door hinge with a prybar by prying it up and away from the hinge.

3.Insert a nail punch into the bottom of the hinge under the door pin and tap the punch with a hammer to push the door pin up and out of the hinge. Grasp the top of the pin with a pair of vice grips and work the pin out of the door frame. Have a helper hold the door during this process.

4.Remove both bushings from the door hinge with the nail punch and hammer. Use the pry bar to pry these out if necessary.

5.Remove the bushings, which are small round plastic washers, from the replacement kit. Place one into the top of the hinge hole and gently tap it into place with the hammer.

6.Slip a new hinge pin into the door hinge through the bushing. Make sure the bottom hinge hole is lined up with the top hinge hole.

7.Tap the pin through both hinges with the hammer until the pin slides through both hinge holes and into the bottom bushing.

Hopefully this helps!...i used this when i did my brother-in-laws truck

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    275/65R18 Toyo Open Country AT2's
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit(want to get the 2.5 RC kit)
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    ProFlaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Blacked out Tail Lights
    Aftermarket Rims

There's a special tool made for the springs. Don't remember what its called but it makes removal and installation much easier. I normally use a rolling floor jack under the door to support it. The last time I did one a friend showed me how to use a ratchet strap around the door and up to the garage rafters to support it.

Im in the same boat lol, i went to napa and got new pins that r threaded and here is what u need from what im told http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steck-Door-H...8f22d2&vxp=mtr and to help hold the door get your old lady to help. i was told a 2x4 on a jack will help also! lmk man!!
    2004 Chevy Silverado z71, second owner

1994 Pontiac Trans Am GT, yellow, Hard top (yup its a GT):glasses:

Couldn't get to it today...spent most of the day...SHOPPING . She has work tomorrow 11-4 and I'll be working all day probably tomorrow.

i tried to do mine today, epic fail.... i used a saw to cut off the old crap it wasnt going anywhere, ending up cutting through a small hold dammit, anyway i got all the top all old crap and dont know how to get the new pins in looks like the bottom needs to come out but i dont want to remove them. The middle "C" bottom part i had to grind down... i dont know it this will cause issues but should i paint it or try to get a new one

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by nabisco_12; 11-22-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nabisco_12 View Post
    i tried to do mine today, epic fail.... i used a saw to cut off the old crap it wasnt going anywhere, ending up cutting through a small hold dammit, anyway i got all the top all old crap and dont know how to get the new pins in looks like the bottom needs to come out but i dont want to remove them. The middle "C" bottom part i had to grind down... i dont know it this will cause issues but should i paint it or try to get a new one

not good.... Don't know when I'll be able to work on mine again

do fear my fail is your gain.... nobody said i had to undo the door from the bottom.... the arrow shows what u need to un bolt and the door lifts up do both top and bottom!!, u just need a helper i f ed up my bracket to im hoping to do http://www.totalauto.com/.... youtube them there is a video and it helped me alot... i think i need over sized bushings.... at the least get the bushings with the threads... i got my at NAPA, hit me up if u need some info!!!

what year truck u have? I dont think u have the right pin kit!? also i didnt need a spring compressor either... come here for the tool thet will push the pins out... i bought a different punch one and it sucked and was a total waste

worth the money... dont be me and get to buy it twice : (

i also have to order over sized bushings didnt know that till i put the new ones in!!!!!

http://www.hingekits.com/part-number...h?page=1#3.1.c

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by