GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Damaged bed. Repair or replace?

So, a year and a half ago, I took a turn too fast, did a 180 and put my '01 Silverado into a ditch. There was no ice on the road but it was night time and the air temp was about 20 degrees. The entire passenger side of my bed is crushed. Fortunately, there is no damage to the cab or frame, just the bed body panel. In unrelated activities, the driver's side bed has some minor dents and half my tailgate is missing its clear coat. Needless to say, my whole bed looks terrible. My question is, would it be cheaper to buy a whole new bed or have a body shop replace all the panels and paint the whole bed?

I am looking for a maroon shortbox. The year doesn't matter so long as it fits a 2001, so I figure a '99 to '04-ish bed will work. I'd like it to be a step-side so I can give my truck a new look but a regular, straight side will do fine if that's all I can find. Ultimately it just needs to be maroon, undamaged and fit a 2001 Silverado.

I work two jobs (about 70 hours a week) and just haven't had the time to look at local junk yards nor price local body shops for the repair work. The few beds I have seen on Craig's List were either Maroon with some minor damage (what's the point?) or undamaged but in a different color. If I picked up an undamamged bed of a different color and had it repainted, I figure I'll be pushing about a thousand dolllars and then'll I'll be in body shop territory. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

A bed replacement may be cheaper, especially from a yard, including painting. A repair is going to have to be repainted too.

Considered a flatbed?
    Rob
    1999 Suburban C1500 LS 5.7 K&N filter, VentVisors, debadged aka "LAAT/i...Larty"
    1994 C2500 454. Ex-Forest Service beastie. aka "Redneck"
    2006 Saturn Ion...the Wife's car.
    Empty spot that needs a Jeep...

I would check some truck oriented dealers who cater to construction and landscapers. Many swap beds for flat beds, utility, dump etc.... and have beds usually sitting around. Also check utility bed dealers and snow plow dealers (if in your area) and same thing, they take beds on trade. I see beds on racks at a local truck body place all the time, mostly fords but always worth a shot. If I were you I would consider finding a good welder to make up a nice flat bed with removable wood side rails. Something different and prob a lot cheaper. Make it look how you want too, diamond plate, teak wood etc...

2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 4WD/Z71 Crew Cab Gray Green Metallic 6.0 Gas 6spd Auto 3.73 gears, HD locking rear differential. 18"Alum Wheels (Stock) Stock Michelin LTX AT-II Tires, Banks Monster Exhaust, Westin Platinum SS Oval Step Bars, EGR Window Deflectors, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Front and back Weathertech Digitech liners. Factory Remote Start with Onstar App on iPhone.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE Black 4WD 4.2 175,000 Miles all original drivetrain and runs like a champ and no rust or rot!

Jokingly, I have considered a flat bed. I know they are abundant from truck accessory shops but I just wouldn't have much use for one.