GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Hybrid View

Arrow 100,000 mile tune up and maintenance questions - Spark plugs, fluids, others ideas...

I'm just about to hit 100,000 miles in my '99 and am wanting to do some maintenance and replacement of a few parts.
    1) what are the pro's and con's of the expensive spark plugs and wires? Is it worth the $10 each for high end one, or are stock Delco ones just as good?
    2) I keep hearing good and bad things about synthetic differential and transfer case fluids on older vehicles, such as mine. What is your input and thoughts on the topic?
    3) I generally keep pretty up to date with maintenance, so nothing on the truck is broken or at the limit of its lifespan, but what else should one change out at the 100,000 mile marker?

I am welcome to any input or suggestions. Thank in advance everyone!
    1999 K1500 Ext Cab, Short Box
    5.7L 350, K&N CAI
    Mangnaflow Cat-back True Duals
    Tuff Country 2.5" Lift w/AAL's
    VVME 35w 4300K HID's (Low)

My 2 cents:

1. The ACDelco plugs appear to make most GM engines VERY happy.
    2. The synthetics are the way to go.
    3. I like to change the front O2 sensors when I change plugs.

Have you considered the transmission fluid?
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Curious about o2 sensor's replacement. Could you explain what they do and how they affect the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000sierra View Post
    Curious about o2 sensor's replacement. Could you explain what they do and how they affect the vehicle.
    O2 sensors monitor the amount of unburnt fuel by seeing home much oxygen is left in the exhaust. They are vital in modern vehicle to maintain fuel efficiency.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Estimated part's cost ? How hard of a replacement is it?

Where are O2 sensors located? I have never changed mine and probably need to.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

There will be two before the cat in between the exhaust manifold and the cat and two after the cat in the pipe. They can be a pain to change. Not getting to them, but rather getting them out. You can rent a socket at a parts store that is long enough to slide over the sensor. it has a slice in it so the wire can poke thru.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I just did this tune up on my 04 5.3 liter. I changed the following

-all o2 sensors
    -auto light xp iridium plugs (.040 gap)
    -plug wires
    -0-40 mobile one oil change (recommended by a GM wizard)
    -all shocks
    -all rotors and pads all around

My truck ran great anyways, no issues but it ran AMAZING after these tuneup items were replaced. It got much quieter and my fuel economy did improve!

Quote Originally Posted by jmckee6 View Post
    I'm just about to hit 100,000 miles in my '99 and am wanting to do some maintenance and replacement of a few parts.
    1) what are the pro's and con's of the expensive spark plugs and wires? Is it worth the $10 each for high end one, or are stock Delco ones just as good?
    I have been told by many GM techs that using the "expensive plugs", ie. xp iridium ect.. Can cause issues with your coil packs over time. They claim that the system was designed for the resistance that the stock delco plugs have and "upgrading" to plugs with a different resistance can burn out the packs. I have not experienced this issue. But, I also always just put the Delco plugs in. I figure if they lasted 100,000 the first time, then why put something different in? I did get talked into a set of the xp iridium by the autozone guy one time. I left them in the truck for about a week. I did not notice any performance difference and out of fear of burning out a coil I replaced them with delco

Iridium plug technology is widely misunderstood. Iridium plugs are not designed to give you motor better performance, they are designed with the metal iridium (obviously) which is much much stronger then platinum. Iridium plugs were designed to be a long lasting, durable plug that can with stand the harsh motor environment better then any other type of plug

A GM tech that says iridium plugs have a differing resistance that the motor was designed for is a MORON! Lol sorry, plugs do not dictate your resistant in the sparking system, your plug wires work with your coils to determine resistance, the plugs are just a catalyst for this outcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by