GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 01 2500hd .. rear diff cover ??

i need to change the fluid in my rear diff and would also like to change the cover to one of the ribbed covers .. any suggestions?

Mag-Hytec makes some really nice diff covers and tranny pans.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

x2....on Going with a Mag-Hytec Diff Cover, not only do I have their Diff Cover, but also their Deep Transmission Pan, installed on my Truck, IMO they are the Best Ones on the Market,

http://www.mag-hytec.com/differential.htm

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

do they have a drain and fill plug?

Ive got a "Perfect Launch" rear diff. cover made by Proform but havent installed it yet. These covers have the 2 bolts that stabilize your bearings. They also have the drain and fill plug in them and are somewhat stylish. A bit on the pricey side at around $150 for our trucks. I will give some feedback in a few weeks since mine is going to be installed along with my new gears a week from Friday.

PROFORM/SPECIALTY AUTO PARTS

Proform/Specialty Auto Parts has added this aggressively designed, super lightweight Perfect Launch differential cover to its ever-growing line of GM and Ford performance parts. Less weight equals more speed, so lighten up your rearend with these Perfect Launch reinforced diff covers. They have been specifically designed to add strength to the rear housing case, which is particularly important during heavy torque situations. Each Perfect Launch cover includes two bolts to stabilize bearing main caps, two magnetic drain plugs and cover mounting bolts for your application. These covers are available for the GM 10-bolt (P/N 66668), the GM 12-bolt (P/N 69502) and the Ford 8.8-inch (P/N 69501) rearends.
    Proform/Specialty Auto Parts

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver8817 View Post
    do they have a drain and fill plug?
    Yes....the Diff Cover has a......Magnetic Drain Plug, Fill Plug and a Lube Level Reference Plug.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 08-14-2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

i kinda like the perfect launch one

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver8817 View Post
    i kinda like the perfect launch one
    Quicks- Its going to be a couple weeks now before I put mine on. GM is still looking into for me about the lift and tires that came on my truck when it was new and it was not re-geared. So im waiting on responses from them if they are going to do anything for me because of this. So I have decided to wait on my regear until I get final words from them. Let me say that im not holding my breath and am not expecting anything from them. Although information on warranty is my biggest concern and want to know if I was lied to and misinformed from the dealer I purchased my truck from. I will update as soon as I get mine on.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

well the only reason im gonna change mine is because when my truck was taken to valvoline by my friend who owned the truck prior to me they rounded out the drain plug on the diff and refused to take responsibility for it .. so id like to change the cover to one that has the drain plugs on it .. i really like the afe one or ppe.. how do i know which differential i have ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails $(KGrHqJHJDIE7zCgpGJmBPBN5)tQJw~~60_1.JPG   $(KGrHqN,!iEE-kBuOhrBBP7MGyIQWg~~60_12.JPG  
    2001 Gmc Sierra 2500hd
    -All clear lights with 5000k HID -Spectre cold air intake w/ k&n cone -Cooper dicoverer ST Maxx 285/75/16 -Meyer 7.5ft poly plow E60 pump - 3500 Rear springs-Leveling kit- Backrack-LED interior lights - Pioneer headunit with Alpine type s 6.5 and Polk 4x6 and 12 inch pioneer sub with alpine vpower amp.

also i read somewhere that using synthetic in the differential is bad however the haynes book says to use 75w90 synthetic gear lube? .. also do i need to add an additive if i have limited slip?
    2001 Gmc Sierra 2500hd
    -All clear lights with 5000k HID -Spectre cold air intake w/ k&n cone -Cooper dicoverer ST Maxx 285/75/16 -Meyer 7.5ft poly plow E60 pump - 3500 Rear springs-Leveling kit- Backrack-LED interior lights - Pioneer headunit with Alpine type s 6.5 and Polk 4x6 and 12 inch pioneer sub with alpine vpower amp.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast