GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Tires

Default Old Tires

I currently have Michelin LTX M/S tires. My grandpa got them at 61,000 miles about 12 years ago. Are they reliable or should I save for new tires?

I would recommend new tires, bud. I have a feeling that they are probably dry-rotted (check for cracks in the sidewall) being that old. And they have a fair amount of miles on them as well and depending on if they were properly inflated or not, the wear pattern may be uneven. That brings up another point, check the tread. One old trick to know if there is enough tread is to take a penny, hold it upside down and insert into the lowest part of the tread. If any part above Lincoln's head is showing, then it's time for new tires. Check out this link for further explanation: http://www.nascar.com/2007/auto/cct/...est/index.html
    Remember that tires are the most important part of a vehicle. It's your contact with the road, which effects vehicle control (braking, steering, acceleration, etc.) Hope that helps! And welcome to the site! Feel free to ask questions! It's the only way to get answers!

I thought it was time to get new ones. I'm about to lift it and I'm going to get new anyways just figured I'd ask. And they only have 10,000 on them.

edit: speaking of the new tires, anyone running Goodyear Wrangler Authority from Walmart? Thay are cheap and look good.
    Last edited by 95C1500; 08-14-2012 at 08:28 PM.

Sr. Mechanic

Those 12 year old tires need to be replaced. BTW-my daughter in law just got Goodyear Tracker tires from Walmart on her Xterra. Not quite as smooth riding as the OEMs but they are very quiet on the highway. The good thing about buying tires from a place like Walmart is no matter where you travel you will always have support (should you need it) because small towns even in the middle of no where seem to have Walmarts!

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

If you want some good tires on the cheap side Check out Craigslist. Just put the size you want in the search and see what you can find used. I did and got some good Tires to last me for the next 2 summers for $140.00
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

I'll try craigslist. What size would equal a 32" tire on a 15" rim?

At 12 years old, those tires NEED to be replaced. For most tire shops, 10 years old is the point at which they won't service your tires, be it rotate, balance or even check the air in them. Get some new ones or at least some used ones that are less than 10 years old.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

You're right. I took my flat to get repaired today and that's exactly what they told me. I'm going to get some Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires soon.

265/75/15s comes to about 32". Had some on my 97 2wd. I put on Toyo A/T Open Country tires...smooth as glass and I never got stuck. I put I think around 30,000 on them when I had them and I had ALOT of tread left when I sold it. All they did was kill my gas mileage being that I had a V6 with probably high ratio gears.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Quote Originally Posted by rileyjr16 View Post
    265/75/15s comes to about 32". Had some on my 97 2wd. I put on Toyo A/T Open Country tires...smooth as glass and I never got stuck. I put I think around 30,000 on them when I had them and I had ALOT of tread left when I sold it. All they did was kill my gas mileage being that I had a V6 with probably high ratio gears.
    Stock height? lift? pics?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast