GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Might have to by a "real" truck

The wife is talking pull behind camper.My little S10 is never going to pull anything like that.Budget for the vehicle is only $5000.Ive shoped around a little finding a few trucks of all makes can make my budget. What would be the best model for the money. The camper is 22ft and aprox 3500lbs.What do chevy guys think of Ford or Dodge?IMHO we dont need a camper or a different pickup.

Well, it mostly boils down to what you want. Only you know what you like. I suggest looking around and test driving some different vehicles. I don't do much towing myself, but I believe a 1500 would suit you for a Chevrolet. Might want to go with 4WD too. I've heard that Dodge Rams back in the 90s had transmission problems. I don't know how true that is, so you may want to do some research if you are interested in a 90s Dodge. For a while the F-150 was the number one selling pick up in America, I am not sure if it is still number one though. I'd recommend a V-8 though. It's hard to beat a V-8 (in my opinion). Remember one thing though, all manufacturers have had some sort of trouble with their vehicles. Nothing man made is perfect. One way of thinking about this is considering all vehicles to be junk, because they wear out sooner or later and need repair. Hope that helps.

since your on a chevy forum, id second the 1500 series with a 350. hands down.
    anything with that frame and engine should give you great trailer controll.
    i had a dodge 318 in my grand cherokee. it pulled just fine, but it worked pretty hard... i grew up a little with my dad's ford expedition, and that did great too the few times we pulled something.
    unless your gonna get the BIG 5.9 V8 or a diesle, avoid dodge. also, avoid a front solid axle truck.

if you really want to find a good chevy, look outside of your state. the rocky moutains is a dry climate, with a more affordable demographic. i went 800 miles to get my truck in UT, but i saved almost $6,000 because CA sucks bawls! lol
    in short, i say; look patiently, and buy a good used chevy.
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....