GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Do i need catalylic conveters

i have a 1986 gmc pickup it came with a 305 i recently swaped motors to a 1974 350 cmj i was wondering if i need cats thanks
    Bruce
    1986 gmc k1500 stepside project
    2.73 auburn posi
    summit headers
    holley 650
    Clevite bearings
    4' lift

If the vehicle came with them, then it needs to have them. That's the short answer.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

This is a tricky question since you've got an earlier engine in a later model body, 74's didnt require or have convertors when they were manufactured, 86's did have them, the real answer is gonna be what your state Clean air board says is right. Some states go by the engine year for requirements and some states go by the body year, what does NJ go by?

In CT to pass inspection you just have to see them doesn't mean anything has to be in them. Not sure about NJ tho.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    In CT to pass inspection you just have to see them doesn't mean anything has to be in them. Not sure about NJ tho.
    Lol i was thinking about doing that

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    This is a tricky question since you've got an earlier engine in a later model body, 74's didnt require or have convertors when they were manufactured, 86's did have them, the real answer is gonna be what your state Clean air board says is right. Some states go by the engine year for requirements and some states go by the body year, what does NJ go by?
    I have know idea

What you really need to find out is what you have to do for emissions some states if you have an engine that isn't factory to the car you can register it as a custom car so it doesn't have to pass normal emissions it just need to pass inspection.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Cats are a tricky legal issue because it's more than state law, there's federal laws involved too. The current generation of cats do not block flow like the early ones did by any means. I'd toss on a pair of racing cats from Summit or Jegs, or at least their universal cats. THey claim no performance loss and it keeps you legal. In either case, they are a good thing for burning the unburnt hydrocarbons left int he exhaust. Thinking thermal-dynamics, hot air scavenges faster than cooler air and cats really heat up the exhaust air, not to mention the benefit for exhaust pollution. I've been living in a very rural desert town north of LA and we get LA smog. It's not as bad as it used to be, but it's still bad. Cats are a good thing.
    Rob
    1999 Suburban C1500 LS 5.7 K&N filter, VentVisors, debadged aka "LAAT/i...Larty"
    1994 C2500 454. Ex-Forest Service beastie. aka "Redneck"
    2006 Saturn Ion...the Wife's car.
    Empty spot that needs a Jeep...