GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Jr. Engineer

Default Boat shopping. Need opinions on Carolina Skiff and similar boats

Shopping for a boat to use in the sounds of North Carolina some fishing but mostly recreation and to get out to the barrier islands.
    I am kind of leaning towards a Carolina Skiff but I am open to opinions.

I guess it depends on what you are looking to do and what kind of water you will be in. I have a 19.5 ft four winns with a cuddy cabin. It works well for us because it gives the small kids a place to get out of the sun and has a toilet for them. It is great for the medium sized lakes around me and even handles the waves out on the Great lakes well. That being said, I can't take it any where that maybe somewhat shallow as it has a deep v hull. I have friends that river fish and I could never take my boat out with them. Most of them run skiffs or small bass boats. So it really depends on what you are doing. A few guys I know have Boston Whalers. They are really nice boats.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I'm guessing your wanting something to deal with some chop? What size range and price range are you looking into. I don't even touch salt Water without an outboard or a flush kit when we had a wakeboard boat on the ocean. I'd look into center consoles and find one with a 250 and you'll be set.
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Triton center consoles are really nice. About 20 foot or so would probably be alright with a 200+- some HP. Around here we see center consoles out in the gulf by some close platforms in 1-3ft chop catching specks. These same boats we'd see bass fishin in the marsh and then pulling the kids on tubes and hydroslides in the afternoon.

Guess it all comes down to who you want to give your money to.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

this thing will kill some tubers.
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Carolina Skiffs are nice, real popular in that area and they do a great job.
    I've always been a fan of Boston Whalers ever since I watched a demonstration where they cut one in half and it continued to float with the engine and driver in the back end.
    Just about any decent 20+ ft center console would work well in that area.

Jr. Engineer

yeah well I can dream! that tuber killer is a little (who are we kidding?) way over budget.