GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tahoe speakers.

Question Tahoe speakers.

I was wondering if is possible to replace my factory rear speaker with dual 4 inch speakers. Will my system handle it with minimal modification? Is it worth the effort? Will it work?

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

My factory speakers are 4x10 so in theory two 4 inch speakers should fit but I was just wondering if the stock amp can handle the extra speakers.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Save your time and money. You will never hear the Tunes from those roof speakers. If you do something later do a 6 1/2 in there and new rear door speakers and put a amp up to them. Making a plate for a 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 for the roof is easy to do and they will sound a TON better then the old 4x10's...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Currently the 4x10's are dead not getting anything but occasional static from them. I was mainly wondering if the there were any good 4 inch speakers out there that would easily drop it. But if not I'll save up for some 5 1/2's.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Save for the 5 1/4's Make a Plywood cutout when you can so you are ready.... Simple to do..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Ok will do then, just wondering do you have any drawings on how to make it or ideas just so I have a plan. Also will this require me replacing my stock amp or could it handle two decent quality speakers and what brand do you suggest is best for the money. Like lowest price but good quality out there.

Indeed. Replace the 4x10s with 5-1/4 components. It's easy to make an adapter out of 1/4" or 3/8" MDF, which should be sturdy enough given the small size. This is a common thing to do on the Pontiac Fiero as well, to upgrade the dash speakers, as 4x10s are fading out of existence.

Mine did alittle more than fade they died. But that's unimportant so to fit then in it should be easy? In theory?

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    Mine did alittle more than fade they died. But that's unimportant so to fit then in it should be easy? In theory?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speaker_plate.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	43068

This is how the Fiero mounting plate is designed, for adapting the 5-1/4 components. Not sure if the mounting in your Tahoe is the same, but it should be clsoe. And you should be able to run some aftermarket speakers off the factory amp just fine. They probably won't sound as good as they could, but you shouldn't have any issues. They'll almost certainly be underpowered, but will still sound better than factory and definitely better than 4x10s would (since the components will be round).

And if you're looking for some lower cost, but good, components, go with these Polk db5251 components. I've used Polk speakers in several cars, and am getting ready to install some in my new truck. They are great speakers, and not terrible on the wallet.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PL53BL-5-...cmu_pg__header
    I found some decent Pyle ones that are good price. And anything is better than dead speakers. The mounting on the Tahoe is similar but from what i can tell it is 4x10 in size. They also sell 4 inch as part of the same series. By the way what would a decent amp cost and could it easily be integrated in to the system? My truck has the RPO code for the premium sound system.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	audio-system-rear-tc0901601.png 
Views:	183 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	43069

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast