GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Is the Internal Combustion Engine at the End of its Life?

Here's a question I would like to see peoples' answers to: Do you think that the internal combustion engine will ever be done away with (as in fully replaced by another source of power)? I value anyone's input. I have my opinion, but at this time I choose to withhold it. Thanks...

Sr. Engineer

I too have an opinion and will share it. They will be around long after I am gone.
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

I have no intentions on giving up my old gas guzzling beast. I really don't care if they find some magical way to make energy that complacently replaces gasoline and other fuels I will find a way to get my hands on gas to keep my truck running long after I'm gone from this earth.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

I'd wouldn't care if the found a new source of energy but as long as they still sell gas for the classics I'll be fine.
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

1. I don't believe they will go away any time soon. Question 2: Why? Oil Kings and Oil pirates that steel our money. If you start digging into the the database (public info) from the US Patent office; there are scientists that work for Lockhead Martin and Boeing that have already discovered alternatives to fossil fuels where the amount of resources that are available would be in practical terms, limitless for many generations of people world wide.

The problem that it comes down to is who the bad people in the world want to keep rich and poor. Right now we are in a cycle where the middle class is becoming the working poor. Any poor people really can't get any poorer ......

Will it be done away with any time soon? No I don't think so. Partly because of what @nakranij said.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Mike View Post
    Here's a question I would like to see peoples' answers to: Do you think that the internal combustion engine will ever be done away with (as in fully replaced by another source of power)?
    People seem to be missing the point of the question, so I bolded a key word within it, above. Given that particular word ('ever'), I absolutely believe the internal combustion engine will be done away with (as in replaced by another source) ... much like the Gutenberg printing press of 1405 was replaced by photocopiers and PDF files. When technological leaps are made old technology falls by the wayside.

The internal combustion engine has been around for a little over 200 years ... and like the Gutenberg printing press (and the mechanical presses it spawned), the internal combustion engine has quite a bit of life left in it. However, it is inevitable that it WILL be replaced by something better. That's the nature of technology... it improves in a Darwinian manner.

I'm with surrealone on this one. Eventually, yes, the internal combustion engine will be replaced. In the short term, it won't be real soon. A couple of observations:

1) Durability helps. Even if a replacement technology were immediately available, the IC engines coming out now will still be running for 10-20 years. If parts are available, they can be rebuilt and run that many years again. Even at the point of being replaced, the internal combustion engine will hang around waiting for existing ones to die out.

2) As with any replacement technology, the replacement and the IC engine will likely run side by side until the newer technology proves its value. At this point I don't see any technology even trying to compete with the IC engine. Sure there are "hybrids", but they are using an IC engine to keep the batteries charged. And the electric only vehicles are few and far between, and seem to be limited to small cars. Remember that whatever replaces the IC engine has got to replace, not only the little 4 bangers, those big heavy diesels that run semi-trucks and trains.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Trains are actually electric motor driven. The big diesel power plants on board are for providing electricity via generator power for the electric motors. That's why they get insane fuel mileage.

Hybrids are a total waste of money and marketing gimmick to make the American public feel like they are sticking it to the man. There may be a 6 to 8 percent gain in mileage at best. Along with that, you lose any loading ability for towing or hauling... All for about a 15 to 20 percent price markup at the dealer... Then, when it breaks, there are only two people on the planet that know how it works and how to fix it... And they don't work cheap!

Longevity? 5 years is all the manufacturer cares about. After that, it's your baby. That would encourage customers to trade in and buy new much more frequently! Most manufacturers don't even offer vehicle-specific parts beyond 10 years from the time the vehicle goes out of production. It is all aftermarket Chinese parts after that.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)