GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default differential covers

can anybody tell me why differential covers are so damn expensive?!?!
    i do not understand what makes a diff cover so pricey, is there some sort of performance benefit or something that makes this so?
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

Heres the diff cover I bought, although havent installed it yet it is a bit pricey. Ive seen the cheap chrome ones go for about $30 but they turn to rust quick. This one explains a little of the benefits of them. Got this one for $150

Proform/Specialty Auto Parts has added this aggressively designed, super lightweight Perfect Launch differential cover to its ever-growing line of GM and Ford performance parts. Less weight equals more speed, so lighten up your rearend with these Perfect Launch reinforced diff covers. They have been specifically designed to add strength to the rear housing case, which is particularly important during heavy torque situations. Each Perfect Launch cover includes two bolts to stabilize bearing main caps, two magnetic drain plugs and cover mounting bolts for your application. These covers are available for the GM 10-bolt (P/N 66668), the GM 12-bolt (P/N 69502) and the Ford 8.8-inch (P/N 69501) rearends.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

so other than the "rusty" look which really seems to be mostly cosmetic, not very damaging unless it became severe, the only real benefit is lighter weight, which we could generously say maybe a few pounds off the diff cover, which wouldnt make any difference at all compared to a trucks weight?
    is there any other worthy benefits that would justify spending at least $150.00 for a loss of 5 pounds or so?

Probably not. I got mine because of the looks mostly. I also wanted to beable to drain the fluid without removing the cover and also they have magnets on the drain plugs removing some of the metal contaminants. This particular cover has the bearing cap supports explaining some of the higher cost.

Quote Originally Posted by reggiecab2000 View Post
    so other than the "rusty" look which really seems to be mostly cosmetic, not very damaging unless it became severe, the only real benefit is lighter weight, which we could generously say maybe a few pounds off the diff cover, which wouldnt make any difference at all compared to a trucks weight?
    is there any other worthy benefits that would justify spending at least $150.00 for a loss of 5 pounds or so?
    Some diff covers (as indicated above) have drain plugs. Many of them allow expanded capacity, and some will have cooling fins. As with many aftermarket parts, though, the cost difference between manufacturing costs and actual retail is much higher than volume stock parts. If you're just in the market for a replacement (e.g. you damaged yours), a junkyard is a great place to find something on the cheap. Cash is king at most places. Pull the part, walk to the front and make an offer. You might walk away with a cover for $20 that way.

Cheers,

-Skippy.
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)

One of the reasons as was stated in the one phantom has is the bearing support. Most are also supposed to be stronger to help protect the diff cover from getting bent and hitting the gears in the diff. As someone also said they come finned which will help to reduce heat. How much? I don't know if that has ever been tested. The other bonus is a larger capacity for fluid which again helps to reduce temps. When the time comes to have to change out my diff fluid I will be going with something like the G2 diff cover. Being able to keep some if not all of the metal pieces from floating around and running through the gears is a BIG plus!

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

gotcha now, hmmm it seems like a smart move to invest in something of the like, ill have to save up for a bit, but with those advantages, it make make it into my wishlist lol