GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Quick ?

Sr. Mechanic

Default Quick ?

Just checking to make sure. The best way to run seafoam through my engine is pouring it into the brake booster hose? 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L

That is one way. You start the truck and while it is running, pour the seafood into the brake booster line. Once you are done pouring shut the truck off and let it sit for about a half hour. Then start it up and let it run until it quits smoking... And is WILL smoke!!!

You can also run it through the fuel system by putting it in the gas tank. You can also put it into the engine oil and run it for a few minutes before changing it. It all depends upon what it is that you are cleaning.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

As long as the brake booster goes into your intake and is evenly distributed into the various cylinders. If you find the booster hose only will cause 1/2 of the cylinders to receive the fluid, it's a no-go and you should look into the spray seafoam that you can inject at the throttle body.

Pour SLOWLY, so it doesn't hydrolock your engine (don't let it just suck it all down at once). Typically, I'll bar the gas pedal somewhere around 1800 RPM (use a 2x4 and wedge it at your seat, them move your seat (power seats are awesome for this). Then pour it in at a rate that almost causes stalling, until the required amount (1/3 to 1/2 can) is in.

Cheers,

Skippy.
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)

Sr. Mechanic

How do I tell if I have to use the spray?

Sr. Mechanic

does nobody know

The booster line going into the intake..> the location tells you whether or not it's ok. If the line allows the air to distribute into all the cylinders, you're good. If the booster vacuum line is only on one side of the intake it's not. (follow the airflow with your finger across the top.... if the booster line point doesn't allow mixing of the fluid and "sucking in" to all the cylinders it's not a good idea (because then you're only putting fluid into a portion of your cylinders). You'll need to move up the airflow path to ensure it works. That's why the throttle body spray works, it guarantees it'll go into all the cylinders.
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)