GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Airdam Removal & Leveling Kit Install - 2010 Silverado (w/pics)

Made some major modifications over the past weekend. First off, I removed the airdam. Second off, installed the leveling kit.

Let's start with #1.

I've seen some older trucks with the airdam removed and I like the way it looked. However, I haven't seen very many newer model silverados with the airdam removed, at least in person. I've seen a few in the forums. So, I figured I would give it a shot.

Very easy to do. Removal time was about 10 minutes. All that was required was to remove two screws on the outermost ends of the airdam and then un-slot the plastic holders. See the following pics. ** Note (pics) airdam was removed prior to leveling kit install.

Removing the airdam made the truck appear to sit higher without any extra mods. If you're looking for a CHEAP fix to make your truck look to sit higher, take the airdam off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Comp1.jpg 
Views:	2033 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	43123

Name:	Comp2.jpg 
Views:	1618 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	43124

Onto #2.

I'm not sure why chevy sets their trucks with the front end pointed to the ground. I believe it is to provide for a better ride. Anyway, I'm not a fan of the look and wanted to install some sort of lift. There were several reasons why I went with the leveling kit instead of an overall body lift. Basically I needed to be able to pull into parking garages without clearance issues and the overall cost difference.

I ordered my leveling kit from Rough Country. Overall I was very pleased with their customer service, they were able to offer me a discount for being a volunteer firefighter which was great. In the end, I paid $65 shipped. Whereas a true body lift would have run me a few $100 plus installation costs.

During the installation I took the "shortcut" method. I started with the driver side, it took me about 45mins just to figure out a good way to pull down the control arm enough the slide the leveling block in underneath the shock. Once I figured the best way to do so, the passenger side went smooth and only took about 20mins to install. The one problem I did run into on each side was tightening the ball joint nut. It was difficult to prevent the ball joint bolt from turning while tightening the nut. However, with some assistance from a vice grip, the install went smooth. Overall, the install took about 4 hours (with food & beer break) lol... i'd say 2.5hours without breaks and 1.5hours if you know the best techniques.

I have noticed that the low beams shine a considerable amount higher than stock. I've been flashed by oncoming drivers a couple of times. I suppose I should get in there and adjust the headlights.

I measured the space between the tire and the fender on a stock silverado and the difference for me was about 2.5".

I am very pleased with the results! Have a look.

Name:	Comp1.jpg 
Views:	1205 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	43129

Name:	Comp2.jpg 
Views:	1245 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	43130

Name:	Comp3.jpg 
Views:	2949 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	43131
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 LTZ 4x4
    Sun Roof, Navigation, Rhino Bed, Rhino Under, PlastiDip Rear Bumper, PlastiDip Bow Ties, PlastiDip Running Boards, LED Taillights, LED Parking Lamps, LED Interior Dome, LED Turn Arrows, Back-up Camera, Tri-Fold Tonneau, HID 5000K Fogs, Lows

Blog Entries

Very nice looks great! The air dam removal is usually one of the first things I do when I purchase a new truck. I want to do the leveling kit, but Just don't have the tools at my current location right now, hopefully after I get back from MCRD I'll have the time to do what little things I have planned.

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, there is no need to embarrass him."

2012 Silverado 1500 Texas Edition 4x4 LT skid plate, 5000k 55W low beams with DRL fuse removed, 5000k 35W fog lamps.

Leveling kit and tires coming soon.

Leaving for boot camp at MCRDSD 20121008.

That looks good. A leveling kit is next mod for my truck probably.
    @Ridyn

Good luck with that. You better run your butt off before you go and have your mile.5 and crunches and pull ups high. And don't look any of your DIs in the eye

I'm only going Navy but one time I was gonna do the Marine Corps until I tore ligaments in my left foot and got MD'ed from DEP about 3 weeks before I would have left.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Looks great man. Did the same thing as one of the first mod's to my truck and I love it. The stance is so much bolder now. Plus now I can get under my truck to change the oil, etc without jacks or a ramp lol
    09 Sierra SLT
    - Denali grille, black HALO headlights, smoked tails & brake light, 20% tint, Carbon fiber interior
    - Top Gun Customz 2.5" leveling kit, 305/55/20 Toyo Open Country AT's on GMC 20's
    - K&N 77 series cold air intake, Flowmaster super 10 series exhaust
    Next up: Smoked fog lights

2000 Silverado Z71
    - 4" body lift, 315/65/16 Mastercraft Courser AT2 tires
    - Stainless steel Excalibur catback exhaust
    - Lots more to come!

I just leveled mine not long ago. I did not move the headlight (also don’t have stock bulbs). And I am 2.5 higher as well. Some people call me an *$^& but here is my reasoning. This is my first truck and after I got it I noticed in rush hour traffic early morning no one will let me over (probable because they can’t see around me) and that slow guy in the fast lane. Now I come up behind them”THEY MOVE”. Yes I do get bighted sometimes and when I show them what my bright lights look like. They turn off their real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by ffdsmokeeater View Post
    I have noticed that the low beams shine a considerable amount higher than stock. I've been flashed by oncoming drivers a couple of times. I suppose I should get in there and adjust the headlights.

I measured the space between the tire and the fender on a stock silverado and the difference for me was about 2.5".

Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Curky View Post
    I just leveled mine not long ago. I did not move the headlight (also don’t have stock bulbs). And I am 2.5 higher as well. Some people call me an *$^& but here is my reasoning. This is my first truck and after I got it I noticed in rush hour traffic early morning no one will let me over (probable because they can’t see around me) and that slow guy in the fast lane. Now I come up behind them”THEY MOVE”. Yes I do get bighted sometimes and when I show them what my bright lights look like. They turn off their real quick.
    I know how you feel, when I had my other truck before I got this one I did the same thing. I had HID's installed, had them pointed a little higher and even had the leveling kit installed. The lows were basically pointing straight into peoples eyes at night. I had a police officer even pull me over because he said i was riding with my brights for a while. After I explained to him that I didn't have my brights on and that my truck is just sitting higher now that it's leveled he told me i needed to get the lights re adjusted...which i didn't.

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, there is no need to embarrass him."

2012 Silverado 1500 Texas Edition 4x4 LT skid plate, 5000k 55W low beams with DRL fuse removed, 5000k 35W fog lamps.

Leveling kit and tires coming soon.

Leaving for boot camp at MCRDSD 20121008.