GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Angry Hesitation and low power. I have done EVERYTHING!

Ok, so I have a 1995 K1500 5-speed, 4.3 V6. It has low power, particularly in 3rd and 4th gears. It is somewhat noticeable in 2nd gear from time to time.

So far, I have replaced the following: fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, dismantled and cleaned the TBI. Fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, button, knock sensor, coolant temp sensor, distributor, cleaned all electrical contacts, checked TPS on a scope.

It doesn't matter if it is in closed loop mode or not. It is MUCH more noticeable when running the A/C. I also notice the presence of gas on the inside of the air cleaner lid. I have replaced the MAP sensor, EGR valve, EGR solenoid, coil...

I have no check engine light warnings. I am totally stumped on this one.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Before I attempt to give any advice, let me ask... How many miles does the engine have on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Mike View Post
    Before I attempt to give any advice, let me ask... How many miles does the engine have on it?
    177k miles.

Let me just say, I'm no master mechanic, but I know a few things about automobiles... I'll try to give some decent advice. Remember that the internal combustion needs three things to run optimally: spark, compression/air, and fuel. A problem with one will cause poor operation (just put that out there for the record). I am wondering if there is adequate fuel pressure. I read that you replaced the regulator, but without enough pressure being supplied, the engine could perform poorly. You may want to check that to be sure (restrictions in fuel lines like dirt can be culprits). Next is compression as a possibility. Not enough can cause operating issues as well. It sounds like you went over the ignition system fairly well, but just to make sure, did you check/set the plug gap to spec? Hope that helps... Maybe it will give you something to think about.

Thanks mike. I have a new fuel pump on there and the pressure is within spec... 13 to 15 psi. (remember that this is a TBI unit). I checked the lines while installing the pump and they were clear of obstruction.

I have not done a compression check, only because the problem is intermittent. I am beginning to suspect the cat.

Thanks for the ideas. Please don't give up!

Does yours have a MAF sensor?
    2000 Chevy Silverado 4WD Classic
    2'' lift Torsion Keys and air shocks
    33/12.50 Hankook Dynapro M/T
    3 1/2'' down pipe back 6" Tip
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Smoked Tails, Cab Lights, and Side Marker Lights
    1% Rear and Side Window, 20% Front Tint
    American Racing Wheels/ With a custom black paint
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails
    Black background headlights and parking lights

No. It has MAP sensor... A nice, shiny NEW one, I might add.

I didn't think so. Well I had a similar problem with mine where it just had no go what so ever and it ended up being the mass air flow sensor. Only other thing i could think of would be a plugged cat.....or slightly plugged cat

So when you say "low power" what does it feel like? Missfire, engine tries to die, or engine seems to be struggling to move along? You say it is more noticable in higher gears, is this an auto tranny?

Mud Truck
    1984 Chevy K5 Blazer
    -454 Edelbrock V8
    -33" BFG Mud Tires

Daily Driver
    2006 Chevy Silverado K1500 LT Z71 - 5.3 V8
    -Bull Bar
    -Step Bars
    -Flowmaster 40 with dual tailpipes
    -Smoked Tails

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by