GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Minor Problems

Angry Minor Problems

Ok, so driving to work today my truck started right up after about a week of sitting, all good. Began driving was happy because the truck wasn't making any bad squeaks or noises until I began going up a hill, and all hell broke lose in terms on noise you could prob hear it squeaking from a mile away. Then took a turn and it sounded even worse during. Second turn even worse. but by the next turn it began to quiet down and by the time I was out of the neighborhood and at speed under the hood was quiet as if the truck was new. Got on highway and drove no problems off highway almost at work no problem except for some tire squealing on a tight turn for fun the parked and tried to see if I could get it to make noise by going stop to stop but nope working perfect.

Also ABS warning light is on what might be deal with that? Tried to hard break to make it engage got notta.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Yah was just as bad when I went out for lunch but was gone within 2 mins of driving also squeaked when I parked at work. Is it the power steering or something else?

This IS kinda sad over 130 people have looked at the post but no one have responded. Feeling unloved </3

Is the squealing coming from the belt? Bad tensioner pully or idler pully? ABS light, is the squeaking from the front tire? Bad wheel hub that destroyed the wheel speed sensor? Need more info. Where is the noise originating from?

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Noise sounds like it is from the belt not the wheel. From what I can tell the ABS is an unrelated issue the light just randomly came on one day. Pulley problem sounds more possible had to remove the idler when I changed the alternator.

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    Noise sounds like it is from the belt not the wheel. From what I can tell the ABS is an unrelated issue the light just randomly came on one day. Pulley problem sounds more possible had to remove the idler when I changed the alternator.
    I would pull the belt off and start spinning pullys under the hood listening for your noise. If it is "crunchy" then chances are you have found your problem. I have seen people over tighten the pully bolt and mess up the bearings.

Will do when I get home this weekend. Makes sense that I could've over tightened it. But just wondering why does it go away after 2 or 3 mins of driving?

it could just be dirt in the bearing, after it warms up then it stops making noise

Thank man I'll check once I'm back from Maine for the weekend.

The power steering pulley was junk on my 96 suburban, and it caused the abs light to come on. My truck wasn't making a squeaking, but it was tough to turn from a stop, and tough to apply the brake because of the integrated hydroboost... and I guess that's why the ABS would come on... Do you know if your truck has the hydroboost?
    00 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.3 4x4

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by