GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Is the fuel gauge in the cluster ever accurate and can it be adjusted?

This has been on my mind for a while.

I know the gauge is accurate when the tank is full and when it is empty. But everything in between seems way off. Is there any way to get the fuel gauge accurate? at least at each quarter of a tank?

I do realize that if you are not parked level, it will change how the float or what ever it is reads the amount of fuel you have, but there has to be a better way.

For me, when I've had vehicles that seemed "odd," I simply filled up at each point, to know what the gauge really meant. For example, after your next fill up, at 3/4 tank, fill up again. That's how many gallons are consumed. Then do it for 1/2 and 1/4 tank on the next two fill ups. Then you get a very close approximation of how much fuel remains (or is consumed) by each point.

The design of the float and associated electronics make it susceptible to inaccuracies at the gauge. Not much you can do about it, given the design of your tank and pump location. The only point at which it would make a difference is if your gauge position isn't being accurate due to corrosion, deposits, etc. (Where one or more step isn't functional, so it reads higher or lower)

A word of caution, it's not a great idea to let your fuel tank go less than 1/4 to 1/8 of a tank. The fuel pump is submerged in the fuel by design, to help keep it cool. Un-submerged pumps run hotter and fail more quickly. Keeping the fuel at 1/4 or higher helps extend the life of the fuel pump (more accurately... helps prevent early failure).

-Skippy
    Last edited by Skippy; 08-23-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)

I don't know how much money you want to invest in this concern... Something I wonder is if the gauge may need calibrating?

Yah I've just sucked it up and just fill the truck when it gets less than 1/8 of a tank my gauge is bad it can range from almost empty to full in a couple mins from going down hill to up when I have a 1/4

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door