GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Transfer Case?

Hybrid View

Default Transfer Case?

I'm looking to replace my transfer case SOON, like before next weekend soon when me and K go to Mississippi and I need to know some stuff. I am finding a few transfer cases but I am stumped to actually which one will fit and work in the truck. I know its a New Process 246 with a 2.72 ratio but I'm being told that I may also have the PO; NP8 which is AutoTrac 4WD. Kinda stumped on what I have and I can't look since the glovebox in the truck is from a different truck. My dad also says that there are 4 different transfer cases that they used for my year.

The tag on the back of mine says NP246; 2.72 Ratio

I am finding manual shift transfer cases from 99s online used for a decent price and would like to know if I can fit this in the truck or do I need one that is push button shift.

Is there something I can use to look up the VIN and determine what POs I have?

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

If you have a push button shift transfer case you need to replace it with a push button. There are some vin checkers out there but they aren't always accurate.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

If the tag on your t-case says its a np246 then the t-case you need to get to replace yours has to be a np246. Why are you replacing the t-case?

Mud Truck
    1984 Chevy K5 Blazer
    -454 Edelbrock V8
    -33" BFG Mud Tires

Daily Driver
    2006 Chevy Silverado K1500 LT Z71 - 5.3 V8
    -Bull Bar
    -Step Bars
    -Flowmaster 40 with dual tailpipes
    -Smoked Tails

I had that break through while talking to @nakranij earlier. The bearings on the shafts are out and its sounding like there are some werewolves in there at high speed and I now have a nice little vibration in the gas pedal.

Turns out its PO NP1.The thing that confused me was my dad telling me there were 4 different cases used on 99s when in fact I think there are just 2 different ones; auto trac (PO NP8 (New Venture)) and New Process NP246 (PO NP1)