GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Ridyn View Post
    Thanks for the input I'm going to be jumping on this asap.

Just came across this thread. I totally LOVE my weight distribution hitch. Besides the fact I can level the vehicle with the tow, I've also added an in-line sway control system. I've never towed so well, and I'm at nearly the max capacity of the stock vehicle (about 9500lbs towing on the Vortec Max 1500 Silverado, which supports 10K lbs).

The only drawback is that weight distribution hitches are basically calibrated to a single trailer. If you tow lots of different things, it'll be hard to make it work the way it's designed on different rigs without constant adjustment at the hitch.

Cheers,

-Skippy
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)

Blog Entries

Oh well, constant re adjustment is just one bad thing out of all the good it can do for my truck!

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, there is no need to embarrass him."

2012 Silverado 1500 Texas Edition 4x4 LT skid plate, 5000k 55W low beams with DRL fuse removed, 5000k 35W fog lamps.

Leveling kit and tires coming soon.

Leaving for boot camp at MCRDSD 20121008.

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    I think they should hire us, Surreal!
    you two would make good salesman. I looked at them and I already have airbags.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Oh, and if it matters for some, the RAS is 100% made in USA. It's an operation out of Charlotte, NC...
    I am one of those.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    you two would make good salesman. I looked at them and I already have airbags.
    Don't say that! Becoming a sales person would destroy what little credibility I might have...

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Don't say that! Becoming a sales person would destroy what little credibility I might have...
    Then I apologize

Just my two cents. I have a 2500 series truck, 4x4 long bed, so the height is different. I just bought a 20 foot Wells Cargo custom trailer that has a heavier tongue weight than the class receiver I have, so I either had to put in a class V receiver or use a weight distribution hitch. I chose the latter route. A little bit less expensive than the other option, but not much. However, it transfers the load such that the back of the truck stays level even when I hit dips or bumps, and it does lift the back a little bit. I also have a sway friction control, which I really like. Definitely makes a difference with wind and windy roads.

The weight distribution hitch set up does scrape going out of some driveways. Lower ground clearance due to the bars and the hitch.

I am also going to install air bags. Why? I have scoured the RV owner web forums and this is the unanimous recommendation for using a camper or anything that may cause the truck to sway from side to side. It is that or get a dually truck. I am getting them just to have the option to adjust the rear height when I want. I can deflate to minimum pressure the rest of the time and not notice it is there. I am putting in the compressor with control for each side in the cab.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123