GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Torque settings

Default Torque settings

I just replaced the rear leaf spring shackles on my 1996 C1500 and wanted to know what the torque settings are on the bolts from leaf springs to shackles and shackles to frame? Thank you
    2005 Chevrolet Silverado

No one knows? or know where I can find it?

Buy a service manual. Why don't you have one if you are concerned about correct torque of fasteners? It is the only place you have a complete reference for that information. I have at least the OEM manual for every vehicle I own, and all 3 of my motorcycles. Only way to do it.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

I have this one, are the settings in there?

Yes, Haynes is very good. Best option if you can't or won't buy the OEM manuals. (there are more than one OEM manual for your truck)

I restore cars. I always buy a Haynes manual because they have ways to remove and replace some items that a non professional can do without special tools. They also have the torque information. But my rule of thumb is I also first buy the OEM manuals. EVen if they are out of print, in which case I find someone that has old stock they are selling or I buy used on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by The Heater View Post
    Yes, Haynes is very good. Best option if you can't or won't buy the OEM manuals. (there are more than one OEM manual for your truck)

I restore cars. I always buy a Haynes manual because they have ways to remove and replace some items that a non professional can do without special tools. They also have the torque information. But my rule of thumb is I also first buy the OEM manuals. EVen if they are out of print, in which case I find someone that has old stock they are selling or I buy used on eBay.
    I've been thinking of picking up a repair manual for my '01 Silverado. What's a good place to find an OEM manual?
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

I know some will pan this recommendation, but I buy from my dealer if they have the manual. Yes, they may mark up what they sell, but I don't mind doing it on some things like manuals and OEM parts.

If you don't wish to take that route, I have found OEM manuals for vehicles on eBay. Remember that GM sells (usually) more than one manual. There is the Service Manual, a Diagnostics manual and sometimes a separate electrical or body manual. I have all three for my '94 Silverado. However, I have only rarely used any but the service manual. If you are registered on eBay you can save a search for the manual you are looking for with the words "Service Manual OEM 2001 Chevy Truck" (don't use quotation marks or it will only pick up what is exactly as you have written it instead of picking words out of it).

What I prefer about OEM manuals is they have diagrams for virtually EVERYTHING on your vehicle, and in the case of GM trucks, they show all variations of things like seat options and cab options and how the stuff is bolted and wired in each. You can find where speakers and relays and fuse blocks are located, everywhere. They also are heavy on the wiring diagrams. What they don't have that Haynes has is pictures of the truck actually being worked on by technicians taking off or putting on stuff, or they have a procedure for removing or installing something using tools you can make or may have in your garage.