GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Jr. Apprentice

Default 5.3 to 4.8,Anyone done it?

Thinking about ditching my truck, combo of the 0% + incentives, and the fact that post lifter replacement my truck has developed some noises at different RPM's that has yet after multiple trips to the dealer to be rectified/identified.
    Also don't like that the motor was tore down for the work with just over 20,000km's on it.
    Plays in the back of my mind that the head gasket will go just out of warranty.

Anyway im just thinking replacing truck with a SLE ot LT Crew 4x4, but somewhat concerned with the power compromise and towing capacity drop that comes with the crews, 5500 for the 4.8 and 6000 with the 5.3 with 3.08 rear.

So anyone who had a 5.3 switch to a 4.8?
    regrets?
    thanks
    2010 Silverado LT 4x4 5.3L Ext Cab

It is my understanding, that the 5.3 uses the 6 speed tranny and the 4.8 uses the 4 speed.

I have also heard many people complain about the poorer gas consumption of the 4.8 (perhaps, due to the transmission)

The head gasket warranty is good for 166,000 km I don't think I'd worry.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

sorry but to me the 3.08 is what dosen't make sense with the 4.3 and 4x4 .For towing and the weight with less power the 3.73 is a better choice . You would actually loose gas mileage with the 3.08 and towing

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    It is my understanding, that the 5.3 uses the 6 speed tranny and the 4.8 uses the 4 speed.

I have also heard many people complain about the poorer gas consumption of the 4.8 (perhaps, due to the transmission)

The head gasket warranty is good for 166,000 km I don't think I'd worry.
    Wouldn't worry too much about gas consumption if you plan on doing a few mods. With the addition of a tuner (Hypertech Max Energy) to my cammed 4.8, I am getting in the neighborhood of 19 MPG's with 50% city and 50% highway (literally, my commute is 8 miles of city and 8 miles of highway driving every day). Of course, I also drive like an old lady on the way to her grave.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

My '03 Extended cab had a 4.8 and had plenty of power for towing. I towed a 30' travel trailer with hardly any effort at all. my little 4.8 would run circles around any 350 I ever had, so it is fine to use for towing! I would want 3:73 gears, however... I would take 3:42 gears if I HAD to... Nothing else tho.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)