GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Silverado aftermarket exhaust help!!!

I have a 2010 Silverado 1500 5.3 4x4 which I installed a mbrp pro series exhaust on last winter. I chose the mbrp setup after much research and investigation into the right one for me. Originally I had wanted a flowmaster but decided to go with the mbrp.
    What I was looking for out of the exhaust was a nice, deep sound that was very loud. The louder the better. That was the main focus; better performance and quality would be bonuses.
    After I installed it, I wasn't as happy with it as I had hoped. It doesn't have the loud rumble I was looking for. I was just going to leave it alone, but lately I have been wondering if I should fix it.

So, I am posting this to ask if anyone out there can help me. Is there any way to make it louder with the setup I've got?
    I was kinda thinking I could get rid of the muffler and just do a straight pipe all the way. Or maybe switch out the muffler with a different one that would give it more volume. Idk if that's possible, it's just something I thought of. I know I could do something with the headers, but that may cost a bit much.
    Right now I have a 3" pipe coming off the headers to the mbrp muffler, which splits into two 2.5" pipes out the back.

If you're looking for a quick upgrade, aftermarket exhaust pipe tips that start at your 2.5" diameter and are 4" or larger at the tip will act somewhat as would a megaphone. They'll amplify the sound output. Going to 3" pipes will do the same. The #1 adjustment though will be the type of muffler used. Switching out to a designed focused on sound output (such as glasspacks or "cherry bombs") will definitely create some noise. You'll probably find, though most of the "performance mufflers" will have a more mellow sound at idle, and really only open up at WOT. If you're looking for noise when you stomp, you might also consider a cold air intake kit with an exposed filter. That'll open up more sound coming from your engine as well, increasing the overall "throaty" sound output of the whole rig.

Cheers,

Skippy
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)

You don’t have to do a straight pipe. What I am going to do. I have looked into this for a while. Cut off the muffler and take to muffler shop and tell them to connect the two together. Which for mine means they have to put a 2” bend in it, I priced it and cost $75 at a local shop. I am not a professional, just saying I looked into it.
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

I like the idea of larger exhaust tips, I am going to look into that. I know I have seen some bow tie tips, I think those would look pretty sweet and maybe open it up a bit.
    I think I'm also going to check out a cherry bomb, I've looked at those and that might be the way to go.
    They will have plenty of sound and performance right? I had a cherry bomb glasspack on my old truck, a 92 k1500 and I know that sounded awesome. I've got an appointment with a local muffler shop to give me an estimate on changing a few things for me so we'll see.

Curky, what did you mean by cutting the muffler off and having someone connect the two together? I guess I'm not following you there