GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by reggiecab2000 View Post
    well that whole deal is a fuzzy area, its up to the cop, but ill give yall a little experienced lesson, (from TEXAS fyi)
    My family and i were leavin MUDFEST earlier this year prolly around 10:00 pm and my brother and I both have HID's. I have a projector set up, he just has aftermarket reflectors. (Decent quality and HID's in them)

Im in my truck and he was in his ford excursion (6" lift). All of a sudden driving down the back roads after leavin, (I was following him) I saw a car in front of him abrubtly pull to the shoulder then completely cut me off to get behind him, (it was a cop nonetheless) flashed his lights, pulled him over. Naturally seeing we were in a small town, i wasnt about to let this cop pull my brother out of the car and harass him for whatever it was.

My sister and her fiance, and one of their friends were riding with him and I was behind them by myself in my truck. So naturally I pulled up about 50 ft behind the cop to observe and watch and record everything that went on, and called my sister to record everything as well, they did...

needless to say the cop came out with attitude saying HID's are illegal in texas on any vehicle, (i made sure my HID's were on, because i was hoping he was gonna say something to me after being done with my little brother (so HID's in the low beam and my Fog beams were on)

Though he never said anything to me, just wanted to pull over a big truck leaving mudfest cuz it was quick money obviously. Well, all in all the cop ended up forcing him to get out of the car, pushed him up against the door, all kinds of inappropriate stuff, while my sister was on the phone with 911 in the passenger seat calling about this mistreatment.

But of course they could not do anything about it. after all was said and done the cop came back with a ticket claiming "illegal equipment-HID" and my brother being not as smart as me just signed it thinking it was a warning but no in fact it was a ticket. At this point i was very satisfied that we would get the ticket dismissed.

First off, my brother never claimed any statement about having HID or even xenon for that matter, and the cop never popped the hood to inspect and prove they were in fact HID's. He just said they were HIDs and of course cops think they know everything. So there was no proof of the fact that they were HID's which would not matter even if they were because they are legal "so long as there is no distracting level of glare".

Aside from the improper use of force and everything else this cop did wrong, we of course took this to court less than a week later, no argument or anything, the judge dropped everything on the spot stating that HIDs are legal.
    just an FYI this was in Poth, Texas, if your wondering where.
    ( it gave me a nice ego boost )
    hope this is better surreal! lol i was in a rush gimme a break
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

Most southern states have very slack light laws. Just make sure you got them all lined up and you'll be fine. And as far as blinding people when I'm n my convert cobra I get blinded by every single car that has oem hids. Not fun when I'm on twisting back roads
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

In response to "as many lights as we want":
    North Carolina GS 20‑130. Additional permissible light on vehicle.

(b) Auxiliary Driving Lamps. – Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front, and every such auxiliary driving lamp or lamps shall meet the requirements and limitations set forth in G.S. 20‑131, subsection (c).
    With regard to the legality of HID lamps, they are not expressly prohibited. however, there are laws with regard to the aim of ALL lights with regard to oncoming traffic and pedestrians:

20‑131. Requirements as to headlamps and auxiliary driving lamps.

(b) Headlamps shall be deemed to comply with the foregoing provisions prohibiting glaring and dazzling lights if none of the main bright portion of the headlamp beams rises above a horizontal plane passing through the lamp centers parallel to the level road upon which the loaded vehicle stands, and in no case higher than 42 inches, 75 feet ahead of the vehicle.
    most aftermarket HID installs are in violation of this!

It goes on to talk about proper certification of lamps to meet the vehicle code here:

20‑133. Enforcement of provisions.
    (a) The Commissioner is authorized to designate, furnish instructions to and to supervise official stations for adjusting headlamps and auxiliary driving lamps to conform with the provisions of G.S. 20‑129. When headlamps and auxiliary driving lamps have been adjusted in conformity with the instructions issued by the Commissioner, a certificate of adjustment shall be issued to the driver of the motor vehicle on forms issued in duplicate by the Commissioner and showing date of issue, registration number of the motor vehicle, owner's name, make of vehicle and official designation of the adjusting station.
    (b) The driver of any motor vehicle equipped with approved headlamps, auxiliary driving lamps, rear lamps or signal lamps, who is arrested upon a charge that such lamps are improperly adjusted or are equipped with bulbs of a candlepower not approved for use therewith, shall be allowed 48 hours within which to bring such lamps into conformance with the requirements of this Article. It shall be a defense to any such charge that the person arrested produce in court or submit to the prosecuting attorney a certificate from an official adjusting station showing that within 48 hours after such arrest such lamps have been made to conform with the requirements of this Article. (1937, c. 407, s. 96.)
    Also, all vehicle lighting MUST be DOT approved for use on roads, highways and public vehicular areas. There are PLENTY of non-approved kits out there that are marked "Off Road Use Only".

For me, just because something isn't EXPRESSLY prohibited doesn't mean that I am going to do it on the principle. It is my real world experience that just because something isn't written as "illegal" doesn't mean that the cops won't give you a hard time over it. For example... Owning a Crown Victoria with 3 antennas on the deck lid and button hubcaps is not necessarily "impersonating a police officer", but you can bet that the cops will see it and keep an eye on it, waiting for the driver to do something stupid. A good friend of mine who is a cop told me "I can FIND something wrong with every single vehicle on the road... All I need is a 'reason' to pull them over. Blinding and/or colored headlights are a good enough reason for me."

Cars with factory HID lighting have properly designed lenses that focus the light beams. factory headlight housings intended for incandescent lighting are not designed that way and will scatter the light in such a manner as to be distracting to oncoming traffic.
    Last edited by moogvo; 08-28-2012 at 01:09 PM.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Blog Entries

This is what I have found so far in our laws here in Texas.

Sec. 547.302. DUTY TO DISPLAY LIGHTS. (a) A vehicle shall display each lighted lamp and illuminating device required by this chapter to be on the vehicle:
    (1) at nighttime; and
    (2) when light is insufficient or atmospheric conditions are unfavorable so that a person or vehicle on the highway is not clearly discernible at a distance of 1,000 feet ahead.
    (b) A signaling device, including a stoplamp or a turn signal lamp, shall be lighted as prescribed by this chapter.
    (c) At least one lighted lamp shall be displayed on each side of the front of a motor vehicle.
    (d) Not more than four of the following may be lighted at one time on the front of a motor vehicle:
    (1) a headlamp required by this chapter; or
    (2) a lamp, including an auxiliary lamp or spotlamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower.
    Sec. 547.321. HEADLAMPS REQUIRED. (a) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with at least two headlamps.
    (b) At least one headlamp shall be mounted on each side of the front of the vehicle.
    (c) Each headlamp shall be mounted at a height from 24 to 54 inches.

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, there is no need to embarrass him."

2012 Silverado 1500 Texas Edition 4x4 LT skid plate, 5000k 55W low beams with DRL fuse removed, 5000k 35W fog lamps.

Leveling kit and tires coming soon.

Leaving for boot camp at MCRDSD 20121008.

You're preaching to the choir, moog, but as noted, HIDs are not, themselves, illegal in NC -- it's a completely subjective judgement call on whether lights were causing glare, as I suspected.

And as for the 'as many as we want', I should have been more clear in that I was speaking about my low, high, and fog beams all being able to be on per the diode mod. How? Technically, among them, only the fogs are 'auxiliary driving lamps' ... meaning I can have all six on at once if I like ... since only two of them constitute 'auxiliary driving lamps'.

I've rolled up behind and past Cary cops (which are notorious sticklers) without issue, so I think I'm ok ... but I'm only running a diode mod with DOT-approved bulbs in DOT-approved housings.

Blog Entries

I'm curious...how bright is 300 candlepower? lol

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, there is no need to embarrass him."

2012 Silverado 1500 Texas Edition 4x4 LT skid plate, 5000k 55W low beams with DRL fuse removed, 5000k 35W fog lamps.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    You're preaching to the choir, moog, but as noted, HIDs are not, themselves, illegal in NC -- it's a completely subjective judgement call on whether lights were causing glare, as I suspected.

And as for the 'as many as we want', I should have been more clear in that I was speaking about my low, high, and fog beams all being able to be on per the diode mod. How? Technically, among them, only the fogs are 'auxiliary driving lamps' ... meaning I can have all six on at once if I like ... since only two of them constitute 'auxiliary driving lamps'.

I've rolled up behind and past Cary cops (which are notorious sticklers) without issue, so I think I'm ok ... but I'm only running a diode mod with DOT-approved bulbs in DOT-approved housings.
    I grew up in Cary, so I know all about those guys... BY NAME! LOL!

BTW... I can show you how your diode mod could be much mo better and net you brighter light. A diode drops voltage by 9/10ths of a volt. There is another way where there is zero drop and MUCH brighter light ;)
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    BTW... I can show you how your diode mod could be much mo better and net you brighter light. A diode drops voltage by 9/10ths of a volt. There is another way where there is zero drop and MUCH brighter light ;)
    It must go better than the tranny gauge install. The gauge is in ... but doesn't work ... and the stealerships are being a PITA about it. PM me details?

WOW! The lights look great. That's pretty much the same set-up I'm going for (5000K). I'm glad you posted, instantly convinced me.
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 LTZ 4x4
    Sun Roof, Navigation, Rhino Bed, Rhino Under, PlastiDip Rear Bumper, PlastiDip Bow Ties, PlastiDip Running Boards, LED Taillights, LED Parking Lamps, LED Interior Dome, LED Turn Arrows, Back-up Camera, Tri-Fold Tonneau, HID 5000K Fogs, Lows

Blog Entries

Yep, just make sure if you want yours to be like mine with that type of light output while on the open highway, you're going to want to go with 55W 5000K low beams and 35W 5000K fog lamps. At first it's going to look like your fogs are more blue than the headlamps, but after a while of operation they'll whiten up a bit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast