GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1995 Motorhome on P30 Chasis 454 won't stay running

I need some help and advice. We have a 1995 Gulfstream Sunvoyager motorhome on a P30 chasis. The engine was torn down when we bought it - long story short, after having heads redone, new piston, new valves, new lifters & rods, we have the engine back together. We have replaced both temp sensors in the heads (driver's & passenger's side), checked for vacuum leaks, new fuel pump, new cap & rotor, and still have a problem.

It will start and run for a few seconds then shut down. If you can catch it before it shuts down and feather the throttle, you can keep it running, but not good. It will not hold a steady RPM.

Suggestions please.

Thanks.

Forgot to mention - it's only got a little over 20,000 miles on it. Bank repo + trash through the throttle body = trashed piston.

It sounds like a classic fuel delivery problem.

Pump, filter, or throttle body.

With the info provided, I'd lean toward the throttle body.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Double check your wiring order. I've seen a lot of rough running engines with a single wire swapped at the cap.

-Skippy.
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)

It will start, but then it shuts down. Almost like something is telling it to shut down. Wondering if we have a fuel pressure issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Rascl93 View Post
    Wondering if we have a fuel pressure issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    It sounds like a classic fuel delivery problem.

Pump, filter, or throttle body.

With the info provided, I'd lean toward the throttle body.
    Perhaps, this was my answer in post #3
    Last edited by RayVoy; 08-30-2012 at 07:31 PM.
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)

Is this a carburetor , TBI, or electronic injection fuel delivery system?
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner

TBI - and yes RayVoy, your post is what leaned me in that direction. No need to get snotty about it. If you would have read my original post thoroughly you probably would not have mentioned fuel pump since I stated that it is new.

Anyway, it is getting fuel to start. Just not sure where to go from here. Should I rebuild the throttle body or check in to the computer.

Thanks everyone for your input.

No need to get snotty about it.
    Sorry Rascl, that was not my intent, just wanted you to reread my first post.

If you would have read my original post thoroughly you probably would not have mentioned fuel pump since I stated that it is new..
    I saw that you had installed a new fuel pump, I was just saying your description sounded like the classic fuel delivery problem and listed the main pieces.

Should I rebuild the throttle body or check in to the computer.
    I would look for a rebuilt throttle body, they will usually take your old one on a trade-in.

Glad you found your problem.
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)

If you would have read my original post thoroughly you probably would not have mentioned fuel pump since I stated that it is new.

Anyway, it is getting fuel to start. Just not sure where to go from here.
    I'm going to call this out, just in case you're unaware. Aftermarket fuel pumps have a higher than normal failure rate. It's been my personal experience that about 1 in 10 go out relatively quickly, requiring a replacement. In fact, two of the last 6 I've done had to be replaced, one in less than a week (was bad from the get go), and the second within 12 months. I strongly recommend you put a fuel pressure tester on the rail and make sure you're getting what you expect.

Skippy
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner