GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Running Board LED - Keep OR not keep??

So I've had my truck for about 1.5 months now, and it came with these amber running board LEDs. I'm not sure what brand light they are, but they are similar to the GoRecon style.

I can't decide if I like the look of them on my truck or not. Some days I like them, most days I do not. So, I need you opinions!

I guess the reason I dislike them the most is because they are a faint amber (almost like dirty white). If they were a deep amber color I'm sure I would like them more. Let me know what you guys think.

I do like the idea of having some sort of light brighten up the running boards... I was thinking installing a pair of clear white LED modules facing at a 45 degree angle to the road (similar to what you would see on fire trucks). It would be something similar to below...

no flash Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120828_210718.jpg 
Views:	680 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	43265

flash Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120828_210704.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	43266

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	620364_1649951772163_1474265284_o.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	43267
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 LTZ 4x4
    Sun Roof, Navigation, Rhino Bed, Rhino Under, PlastiDip Rear Bumper, PlastiDip Bow Ties, PlastiDip Running Boards, LED Taillights, LED Parking Lamps, LED Interior Dome, LED Turn Arrows, Back-up Camera, Tri-Fold Tonneau, HID 5000K Fogs, Lows

Blog Entries

They aren't overbearing so they look fine. I would probably have gone with a different color but I like them!

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, there is no need to embarrass him."

2012 Silverado 1500 Texas Edition 4x4 LT skid plate, 5000k 55W low beams with DRL fuse removed, 5000k 35W fog lamps.

Leveling kit and tires coming soon.

Leaving for boot camp at MCRDSD 20121008.

I would probably lose the running boards altogether if it were me. running boards say "1978" to me... Hard to see the ground lights on that fire truck with the scene lights blaring at the camera! LOL! Remember, though that the ground lights on the fire truck only come on when the parking brake is set. It would look a bit silly to have them on going down the road.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

IMHO: Ditch them...

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    I would probably lose the running boards altogether if it were me. running boards say "1978" to me... Hard to see the ground lights on that fire truck with the scene lights blaring at the camera! LOL! Remember, though that the ground lights on the fire truck only come on when the parking brake is set. It would look a bit silly to have them on going down the road.
    moogvo,

I agree with the running boards screaming 1978 lol. I'm still indifferent about those as well. MY girlfriend enjoys them because its easier for her to get in and out of the truck but they might be going as well. The only reason I may keep them is during the winter time (upstate NY winters), the running boards help keep the excess salt/snow off the body of the truck and reduce the rate of rust.

As for the lights, I've posted a better picture below. And that's not necessarily true. I've seen fire departments keep just the ground lights on while driving around at night. I actually like it and it also serves as better marking of the vehicle. It would almost be a sense of under body lighting as I they would be pointing more down towards the ground.

Regardless, I was thinking about tying them in to only come on when the interior lights are on (entering and exiting the vehicle, unlock, etc.)

Name:	577176_1566370562685_1286216034_n.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	43274

Essentially this is what I'm looking for. I plan on wiring the lights to only come on with the interior lights.

http://www.ledunderbody.com/LED-Ligh...ody-Kit-1.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by ffdsmokeeater View Post
    moogvo,

I agree with the running boards screaming 1978 lol. I'm still indifferent about those as well. MY girlfriend enjoys them because its easier for her to get in and out of the truck but they might be going as well. The only reason I may keep them is during the winter time (upstate NY winters), the running boards help keep the excess salt/snow off the body of the truck and reduce the rate of rust.

As for the lights, I've posted a better picture below. And that's not necessarily true. I've seen fire departments keep just the ground lights on while driving around at night. I actually like it and it also serves as better marking of the vehicle. It would almost be a sense of under body lighting as I they would be pointing more down towards the ground.

Regardless, I was thinking about tying them in to only come on when the interior lights are on (entering and exiting the vehicle, unlock, etc.)

Name:	577176_1566370562685_1286216034_n.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	43274
    I get that about the winter snow and such... I wish we got that here!

Our departments trucks are all wired to the parking brake, so they aren't on while driving. I am sure there are MANY ways to wire them! LOL! Here's one of our trucks.

Notice that the ground clearance lights are even on in the daytime when the rest of the lights are off. the only one you can see in the picture is where the step onto the catwalk behind the pump panel is. There are several others under there tho!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 221.jpg  

I would say ditch the running boards, but install some under carriage lights like the fire truck. (In fact that is a side project I am working on now) I would love some of those scene lights on the roof of the fire truck, but the Whelen LED floods are about $1700 per flood light.... that is a little on the steep side for my budget.

Green ghetto lights under the truck? Yuck, just yuck. Even if not green, yuck. Plus they'd be a pain in the butt to keep clean...

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Green ghetto lights under the truck? Yuck, just yuck. Even if not green, yuck. Plus they'd be a pain in the butt to keep clean...
    Green ghetto lights? Not at all! lol The link I sent to you should have taken you to the white under body lights. Basically, the look I'm going for is to light up the under body/perimeter of the truck ONLY when I get in and out of the vehicle (unlock doors, open doors).

The lights would be tied into turn on ONLY when the interior lights turn on... see below

Name:	557430707_o.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	43277

Name:	white.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	43278

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by