GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Engineer

Default Air intake chamber??

Not trying to fix anything here cause nothing is broke. BUT...Does any one know what the purpose is of that bulbous chamber that resides on the underside of the plastic runner from the MAF to the throttle body?
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

Can you provide a picture of it? Is it attached to the air tube? Are there any connectors or lines running to it?
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Sr. Engineer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0829122012.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	43276the part that hangs down like a .......

Hmmm. I see. It is probably there to catch any moisture that passes by the filter. If you take the rubber tube loose, can you see if the air is forced to pass down through it and back up before getting to the throttle body? It may also be a "muffler" to keep air suction noise down.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Sr. Engineer

Nope, no air through it, just a hole in the bottom of the duct. my thought was a muffler of sorts also, some engineered chamber to attenuate some odd frequency noise that showed up in testing. It cost money to put it there so it must be of some use.

It's a muffler to cut down intake air noise, you'll find them on almost every vehicle manufactured now days.
    In my opinion I think it's a waste, I've removed them on every vehicle I own, doesnt change mileage, sound, or performance.

tbplus10 is on the money. It's a sound dampener (a resonating chamber is more likely to be an accurate term, either way, the point is it dampens sound). The chamber changes the acoustics and softens the roar of the engine. Basically, makes it a touch softer so you're not drowned out in the cabin.

-Skippy.
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)