GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My dad was the KING of "Liquid Tune Up" type products. He was tossing additives into brand new cars that had no miles on them! Long story short, my mom's Ford Econoline conversion van died an untimely death after overheating and blowing head gaskets with only 40k miles on it. This was a direct result of "preventative maintenance" by adding Bars Leaks into the coolant so it wouldn't "develop a leak", Gobs of liquid engine re-build went into every car he ever owned and he couldn't resist a weekly can of "STP Oil Treatment" (Which basically turned his motor oil into superheated chewing gum).

I found a Ford Bronco II on Craigslist for $200.00 with a blown head gasket. It still ran when I got it, but not very well! I dragged it home and cracked open the heads to find this:

Notice the COMPLETELY PLUGGED water jacket passages in the head gasket below:

I love to buy cars like this. I get 'em cheap, get 'em runnin' cheap and sell 'em! All of this was caused from a $10.00 bottle of stop leak. Think about that next time you think about using it! LOL!
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

This is why the only high mileage oils that I use are meant to help remove dirt/sludge not fix seals and stop leaks. Also use a oil filter that claims to filter 99% of dirt/sludge and has a anti flow back valve.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    This is why the only high mileage oils that I use are meant to help remove dirt/sludge not fix seals and stop leaks. Also use a oil filter that claims to filter 99% of dirt/sludge and has a anti flow back valve.
    I don't use any high mileage anything. I Use Kendall 5W 30 50/50 Synthetic blend in my truck. It has 178,000 miles. Pull the dip stick and it is a nice golden brown color. I have always had great luck just doing the proper maintenance on vehicles and have had only ONE engine blow. It was a 1974 Dodge Charger that I bought for $10.00 that had 457,000 miles on it when I got it. I added another 60,000 with VERY shoddy maintenance. I even ran cooking oil in the engine once because I didn't have any motor oil... I was a broke teenager at the time. LOL! I ran the crap out of it. It finally spun a bearing... Best ten bux I ever spent! I gave the man a 5, 5 ones, a ride home and he gave me the keys and title.

I plan to go back to reg oil once I feel I cleaned out as much of the junk that I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Just ask the kid who was driving around with ZERO brake pad on his front right wheel (eating into the caliper and rotor) and told me "Are you SURE I need a brake job? I can still stop."

Yeah buddy. Just like you still have money in the bank, because you've got checks in your book. LOL

-Skippy.
    LOL I love the sarcasm!! Haha that was great!! But that TRULY is how some people think!

Good comments everyone else!!! Thanks for the good info. I thought I had the answer to my question before I asked it, but I just wanted to make sure by hearing (well actually reading in this form of communication ) other people's thoughts and experiences.

How can some one not realize their brakes are out when mine went out you could feel it almost through the pedal and you can hear the metal on metal its just like are people really that clueless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12