GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Is there an incentive to reply to all threads...?

First off, I am new here and I mean no disrespect to any members of this forum. In my limited experience here, I have found users to be friendly and helpfull. My question is this...

Why does everyone post to all these threads with "welcome to the club" or "i agree with the last guy's post"...?

Do we get some kind bonus for having the most posts? Is it just a matter of pride to be able to say "I have a higher post number than you do"?

I just don't understand why someone asks for help with an issue and gets 10 replies that say nothing usefull and have nothing to do with the original question.

Again, I mean no disrespect and I'm sure this may make me loook like a dick but I am new to online forums and just want to learn the ropes!

I guess you could ask why should anyone bother to even get on here in the first place. Why bother to say good morning to a stranger that you see in restaurant, or happy new year, or thank you.

As for the replies that "say nothing usefull" (sic), I guess that's all in someone's opinion if it's useful or not.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

A good number of the regulars like to welcome new people in the new member section. If being social constitutes 'nothing useful' to you, you're actually among the few that tend to feel that way, as many have commented on how welcoming and social this site is compared to some of its alternatives. We're a collection of people on a site called GM Truck CLUB, after all.

Yup, you joined a club. As a reminder clubs are, by definition, social in nature...
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 08-30-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Were just being friendly. Thats what we do here on GMTC.

Well about people saying welcome to the Club, is being friendly, also showing that there are people here and not a dead Club.

About saying I agree to someone else, why repeat what someone else said if it was already said but it is also showing that it is their opinion too. If you have 5 different answers to your question but one of them 3 people agree with. You would probably start there.

No bonuses for number of posts.

For learning the ropes: It is easy. being friendly, respectful, and tasteful. If you want to be a contributor to the club, then answer what you can when you can. That would be great. If you only want to come here and get your questions answer, well that is fine too. We like to have members that can do what they can, but if you don't have the time. You more than likely hear no one complaining.
    Last edited by Curky; 08-30-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

I won't go into why we welcome folks in because that has already been done, as has duplicate "me too" postings. I will cover that the more friendly we are as a community and the more we interact with each other, the more we all post. A lot of the posts may not be of relevancy to the nature of the site, but once you get people "talking", they tend to participate more, thereby adding posts later on that actually ARE relevant to the community at large which generates useful information down the line.

Yes, there are some on here that post things just to increase their post count. There are also people who post duplicate answers to threads in order to look intelligent, but I like to think that those folks are the exception, rather than the rule.

Personally, I don't usually participate in the welcome wagon group or post in the game threads unless I am completely bored. It isn't that I don't want newbies to feel welcome because I do, but I think that my efforts could be better served by posting to threads where I can truly be of assistance to someone.

Welcome to GMTC!
    Last edited by moogvo; 08-30-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Sr. Engineer

As for the "welcome to the club" posts it also serves to let you know you've been noticed and acknowledged. Oh yeah, it adds to the post count, mine just went up.
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

I stopped looking at my post count ages ago. There's markers for 100 and 1000, but I'm so far beyond those that it should be clear that I don't post for the numbers, else I'd have stopped after the 1000 marker. I didn't, which should tell you that I don't do it for the marker; I'm just social, here.

I check the top posters list from time to time ... just to see who else has been active on a given day. It usually happens on slow days when I'm wondering where everyone is, lol.

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks for the replies, I am sure I ruffled a few feathers with this thread but I meant no harm or disrespect to any club members. I am the new guy here and just wanted some clarification. I agree 100% that this is a very friendly and welcoming forum and I can already tell that you guys are a fountain of knowledge, And I will do my part when I can.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

POP Opps my count just went up.. Guess I will say....
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast