GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default LED light replacements

Ok guys im thinking about switching out my stock tail light bulbs for leds. Just wondering if anyone has done this and if anything else needs to be installed such as resistors or anything of the like. I am asking because i have heard that resistors will need to be installed with the turn signal bulbs.
    Jack It Up Fat Chicks Can't Jump-Kansas HickLyfe

'03 GMC Sierra Z71 5.3- 4" Rough Country Lift Kit/33" Terra Grapplers/17" Helo Rims
    '08 Buell 1125R
    '11 Apollo Mini PitBike

In your case installing resistors would be a waist of money and will be a lot of extra work, your '03 will still use a flasher relay so I would just replace that with a electronic flasher relay, that will solve the hyper flash problem that your LED's will cause.
    2007 Silver Birch Metallic Sierra Classic SLE Crew Cab Z71
    Line-X bed liner
    Putco box rails
    Truxedo Lo Pro QT box cover
    Cloud-Rider grill inserts

This is the aftermarket flasher relay I used to replace the OEM one in my 04 Sierra: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KS6GIG

It's a 5 minute job, as the relay is plugged into the back side (i.e. steering column side) of the in-cab fuse box (i.e. the fuse box located in the cab by the driver's side door.) Removal of the driver's side knee panel (which is held in by two 7mm bolts ... and some clips that you simply pop out) will grant access to the back side of the fuse box where the OEM flasher relay is located. Pop it out, put in the LM487, test it, and then button it all back up. It's a snap. I've been running one for nearly a year without issue. No hyperflash, here...

Quote Originally Posted by redNecKansas View Post
    Ok guys im thinking about switching out my stock tail light bulbs for leds. Just wondering if anyone has done this and if anything else needs to be installed such as resistors or anything of the like. I am asking because i have heard that resistors will need to be installed with the turn signal bulbs.
    Not worth the money IMO if your going to do it, change the entire assembly to an led fixture. Do the research and find a set that will put out adequate legal light and won't go bad after 6 months
    Chuckie!!!