GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Cams

Sr. Mechanic

Default Cams

Haha okay so one of my friends has been looking at cams for his truck and it had me kind of curious what one would do on mine. I have looked alittle into it like at some that people like for the 6.0L but my main question would be how much is it to install and besides the camshaft what will I need to do to my truck?

A good combo is cam headers stall converter and tune. Also new springs
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Sr. Mechanic

oh okay yeah I have the blackbear tune and headers in the budget but this is kind of a long shot maybe in a couple years. I think those two will help enough I just can't decide whether to do the data logging tune or the traditional one. I'm not sure if its that much of a difference.
    Last edited by sierra11; 09-02-2012 at 01:41 AM.

If your truck has AFM or VVT, your options are much more limited; or you can do the AFM/VVT-delete to drop the AFM/VVT hardware, which is much more expensive than a simple cam swap on a non-AFM/VVT engine.

They make a lot more cams these days that are for our trucks but with a tune turn off afm

I've seen AFM hardware delete kits, but they are a lot more expensive than just a cam. I haven't seen any cams with tunes to just turn off AFM. Are they just the stock LS1 cam grind with turning the AFM off. You can't really bump the lift up any from stock on the AFM cylinders. Max lift for the AFM hardware is about 0.525. Beyond that you greatly increase the chances of damaging the engine. I was searching for some cams targetted for AFM recently and basically found nothing but AFM hardware delete kits.