GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Looking for information on aftermarket exhaust upgrades

I really know nothing about exhaust upgrades other than you have the exhaust manifold right off the engine (left and right) then I have my left and right cats and O2 sensors, then there is a "Y" into 1 pipe that goes down the length of the truck to the last )2 sensor and muffler and then the tip at the end.

The more open or less restriction there is, the more power, and efficient the whole system is. In real life (daily driving) what is an upgraded exhaust going to do for me?

I have asked some things here where I get "if its not broke, don't fix it" I get that cause some things are expensive to replace, but a proper exhaust upgrade is going to be $1000 to $2000 and most people get it done right after they buy a new truck when there is absolutely nothing wrong with the one they have.

If I wanted to go with high flow cats and a new muffler (for me larger because I don't care so much for letting half my neighborhood hear when I come and go) what are my options, what type of performance "should" I experience driving the truck, and what is a reasonable amount to spend and where does it become overkill.

Key things I am considering:

• Rust - after 12 years and 216,000 miles my factory exhaust looks brand new if I clean it to remove oxidation, etc. I hear that allot of the aftermarket exhaust products have a life expectancy of 3-5 years, a little more if you are lucky.
    • With a high flow, less restrictive system, how does that affect my emissions for my state inspection? ( I had 2 shops locally recommended to me and when I asked them about it, they explained that some of the products (cats and mufflers) available today have so much flow that they are barley legal and potentially will trip my down stream O2 sensor and cause me to fail my annual state inspection. (Not a problem on older trucks that do not need an inspection)
    • Noise (I am willing to spend money on a "larger muffler") to cut down on the noise. People do not need to hear me come and go.
    • Cost -I don't think anything over $1000 is going to give me a reasonable return on investment before my truck eventually needs a new engine and is sent to the scrap yard.

Personally I'd keep the factory pipes if they are holding up that well. But their may be high flow cats that are 50 state legal you just need to find them.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

First off, a "larger" muffler is going to give you louder exhaust. If you don't want louder exhuast, then you'll want to avoid switching to "true duals" as they will be louder. If you just want a bit more torque or power, but not necessarily a louder exhaust, then perhaps just look at getting some headers. A good set of stainless shorties will give you a little bump in torque, and certainly last longer than 5 years. What other mods do you have? You can probably keep the stock pipes and just change the cats out for new stock replacements and swap out the muffler for a good aftermarket unit that keeps the stock inlet/outlet sizes. You can even keep the stock resonator which helps quiet the exhaust down a bit, and swap to a nicer looking oulet tip if you like.

Modern factory cats are not especially restrictive anyway. Most of the restriction in the manifold, Y-pipe, and the size of the exhaust piping. But if you're not looking for big gains, and just want a bit of improvement while keeping the stock level of noise, then the changes I already suggested will help a lot, and you shouldn't have any issues with emissions inspection afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by dobey View Post
    First off, a "larger" muffler is going to give you louder exhaust. If you don't want louder exhuast, then you'll want to avoid switching to "true duals" as they will be louder. If you just want a bit more torque or power, but not necessarily a louder exhaust, then perhaps just look at getting some headers. A good set of stainless shorties will give you a little bump in torque, and certainly last longer than 5 years. What other mods do you have? You can probably keep the stock pipes and just change the cats out for new stock replacements and swap out the muffler for a good aftermarket unit that keeps the stock inlet/outlet sizes. You can even keep the stock resonator which helps quiet the exhaust down a bit, and swap to a nicer looking oulet tip if you like.

Modern factory cats are not especially restrictive anyway. Most of the restriction in the manifold, Y-pipe, and the size of the exhaust piping. But if you're not looking for big gains, and just want a bit of improvement while keeping the stock level of noise, then the changes I already suggested will help a lot, and you shouldn't have any issues with emissions inspection afterward.
    The guys at both local shops told me that the more space in the muffler, the more sound gets dissipated, lowering the amount of noise created, I am not sure how that would make it louder? They also said that an H or X type muffler would help with noise since it is not a straight shot out the tail pipe, because the exhaust will bounce around in the muffler before going out.

You are correct the longer the muffler the quieter it is the shorter the muffler the louder is normally the theory behind it.

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    The guys at both local shops told me that the more space in the muffler, the more sound gets dissipated, lowering the amount of noise created, I am not sure how that would make it louder? They also said that an H or X type muffler would help with noise since it is not a straight shot out the tail pipe, because the exhaust will bounce around in the muffler before going out.
    It depends on the design of the muffler. Larger mufflers with more empty space, and less filling to dampen the sound, are typically louder (they're designed to amplify the sound). And most all of them are going to be very close in size for your truck, anyway, as they're often designed to fit in the stock location. You can just search for exhaust vids for your truck on YouTube, and give them a listen to see how the different mufflers sound on your truck, and find one that fits the tone and loudness qualities you want. I've been looking for exhaust for my truck recently, and will most likely go with the Banks Monster exhaust. It seems to be one of the best ones out there.