GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Stupid RFID tags

I ordered a wallet from Amazon and the damn thing has an RFID anti-theft tag sewn into the liner. Every time I walk into and out of a store with those anti-theft scanners at the door, it sets them off. I would have to cut open the wallet to get it out which most definitely not what I want to do. Is there any way to permanently deactivate the RFID tag without destroying the wallet?
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

A small EMP would work but wouldn't recommend doing it near any other electronic. Maybe if you keep a high powered magnet close to it it might stop working like some credit cards/hotel room keys, no promise tho.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Enjoy messing with the clerks at the store, I have a pair of short pants that for some unknown reason they sewed an RFID tag into the seam, everytime I walk in or out of certain stores I just look at the clerks and smile as the alarm goes off. In my opinion it's just one more way of messing with society.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Enjoy messing with the clerks at the store, I have a pair of short pants that for some unknown reason they sewed an RFID tag into the seam, everytime I walk in or out of certain stores I just look at the clerks and smile as the alarm goes off. In my opinion it's just one more way of messing with society.
    I did get some goofy looks when the alarms went off as I walked INTO the stores. So far, it has happened at a sporting goods store, an electronics store, an auto parts store and the grocery store.

Most of them will look at you like they dont know whats going on or what they should do, If I'm walking in the store I usually say "hey looks like your sxxxs broke", on the way out I'll throw another jab like "still didnt get that fixed".
    The Krogers near my house knows me now and most of the front end clerks just look at me like yea we know your messing with us, one of the baggers is actually a pretty smart kid cause when I walk in with the alarm he'll ask me "wearing your lucky shorts today" not sure how he figured it out.

I know stores that use them will deactivate RFID tags at the registers but I'm not sure it's a permanent deactivation, just enough to get you from the register to your car. Can anyone confirm/deny?