GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 2001 Suburban third seat can be easily removed and reinstalled?

With kids all grown, two married and one in college away from home, I do not see any need for the third row seat. The second row captains can be folded down to flaten out and I know the 3rd row seat can be folded up, but I want to gain more room in the back when needed. Is there a trick to remove and reinstall? Thanks.
    2011 Chevy Silverado LT 4WD 30k miles
    2001 Suburban 2WD, 5.3, V8 185k miles
    1993 964
    1996 318TI

Well my mother has a full size Chevy van and I have taken all the seats out for her just by taking the bolts out with a ratchet. If you are looking for another way, I can’t help, sorry
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

No tricks! There should be numbers on the levers to tell you what order to do it in. First fold it down, then lift the lever on the back, on the bottom, in the middle of the seat. This will allow you to flip if forward. My 05 has a strap just to the right of the second handle you lifted up on, you will see it after you flip it forward. Mine has a number 3 on it. You need to pull that while you pull the seat on an angle towards you. That strap releases the front clips that hold the seat to the frame.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Curky View Post
    Well my mother has a full size Chevy van and I have taken all the seats out for her just by taking the bolts out with a ratchet. If you are looking for another way, I can’t help, sorry
    I do not see any quick release levers for completely taking out the 3rd seat but I can fold it up and increase the storage but that is it. I may need to unbolt the seat just like waht you did on your mom's van. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bazar01 View Post
    I do not see any quick release levers for completely taking out the 3rd seat but I can fold it up and increase the storage but that is it. I may need to unbolt the seat just like waht you did on your mom's van. Thanks.
    When you say "folded up" what exactly do you mean? Like holds in half and then flips forward? If so then you should not need any tools to remove the seat.

@Pikey he might just have a dif. year or modale. It should only be 4 bolt. Might be rough the first time to break the threads losse after that it is in and out. . By time you read this you could be done already, lol Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Curky View Post
    @Pikey he might just have a dif. year or modale. It should only be 4 bolt. Might be rough the first time to break the threads losse after that it is in and out. . By time you read this you could be done already, lol Good luck
    He could. All the 2000 later 3rd rows that I have seen have been as I described. I am interested in how he ends up getting the thing out now!

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    When you say "folded up" what exactly do you mean? Like holds in half and then flips forward? If so then you should not need any tools to remove the seat.
    Ok, I am not being clear.

The 3rd row bench seat back folds down and lays flat by lifting the center lever behind the seat. Then with the seat back laying flat, you can lift another lever located on the right side and be able to lift the back end of the seat bottom and the seat pivots on the front hinged supports and fold the seat up gaining more rear storage space.

That is not what I want to do. I wanted to take the whole seat out and it looks like I have to unbolt the front hinged supports on each side of the seat. I cannot see the connection points right now but I was thinking there must be a way to just unhook it from the hinged supports or I may need to lift the carpet up a little and take a look if they are bolted to the floor or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    He could. All the 2000 later 3rd rows that I have seen have been as I described. I am interested in how he ends up getting the thing out now!
    sorry guys, can't do it now. maybe this weekend. haha.

So, I did a little research there seems to have been 2 different mounting systems for the 3rd row seats. If you fast forward this video to 14:45 they show how to remove the front on one style.

The style I have you have to pull the strap to release the front latch and pull toward you. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg 
Views:	1194 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	43449

Thanks Pikey for the video and pic.

Mine has a different latch system. My 3rd row bench seat is one whole wide piece from side panel to side panel. I have 2nd row captain chairs. There is a space in beetween captain chairs to get to the 3rd row bench seat. I will investigate this weekend and post an update.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by