GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Horn Circuit Question

I installed an Air horn on my truck, at the same time I installed a compressor, solenoid valve, horn relay, and a push button switch. Currently it is not wired into my vehicle horn relay, and that is what I am now trying to do. I am trying to contain the wiring to the inside of my cab. I have put a multimeter on 3 different wires that I think go to the horn switch and I get no voltage. When I look for a schematic for the horn circuit all I find is for a 2003 Silverado, my truck is a 2007 Silverado, I would think that the schematic would be close. The question that I have is; Does the wire running from the factory horn relay going to the horn switch have 12 VDC power or is this a negative wire just providing a ground. My current wiring schematic for the air horn is set up as required for the Wolo Solenoid valve and I want to run a jumper wire from my horn switch wire to the back side of my air horn so that when I hit my regular horn the air horn goes off as well. In order to do this I need the 12 VDC to open the solenoid valve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2003 Silverado Horn Circuit.jpg  
    Last edited by Macattac3572; 09-04-2012 at 04:40 PM.
    2007 Silverado LT Z71 Crew Cab w/Diablo Trinity
    2.5" Front leveling Kit, Removed 1" factory Rear Blocks, Installed 2.5" Blocks
    CSI CAI, Rugged Liner Tonneau Cover, EGR Bug Shield
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, Front Windows Tinted 30%
    275/70/18 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs (33's)
    Spec-D LED Taillights

Wanted - Gibson or Magnaflow Exhaust, Nerf Bars, Spyder Black LED Projector Headlights

After doing some more research, on the 2007 NNBS Silverados there is no horn relay, well there is but, it is a printed circuit board. At this point I am going to run a wire from my switch and splice into the horn power wire close to the factory horn. I believe that the wire running to the horn switch is just a ground wire with no power.
    Spec-D LED Taillights

Wanted - Gibson or Magnaflow Exhaust, Nerf Bars, Spyder Black LED Projector Headlights

Quote Originally Posted by Macattac3572 View Post
    After doing some more research, on the 2007 NNBS Silverados there is no horn relay, well there is but, it is a printed circuit board. At this point I am going to run a wire from my switch and splice into the horn power wire close to the factory horn. I believe that the wire running to the horn switch is just a ground wire with no power.
    I would suggest that you use your own relay to avoid burning wires or contacts.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Thank you, that is what I was going to do. Would rather be safe than sorry.
    Spec-D LED Taillights

Just put it on its own circuit, separate from the horn, with its own push button. That way you'll at least have use of your regular horn too.

Why not run the existing wire that runs to the horn to a relay and use the relay to power the horn air valve? That way, you can switch it back with no problems.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)