GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default What other languages do you speak, if any?

So, a conversation came up while I was out and about and it got me wondering. How many people actually fluently speak another language besides English? What inspired you to learn another language? How difficult was it for you to pick up on? What other languages would you like to learn?

I only speak two languages, which the first is obvious, and the second is Portuguese.
    In my family, I am the first generation to be born in this country. My grandparents were born in the islands of the Azores in Portugal, where they got married, and moved to Bermuda, where my mom was born. If I didn't learn the language, I wouldn't be able to communicate with some of my family members.

Now that I'm a bit older, I want to also learn Spanish and French in hopes of one day moving back to the islands, and working for the airlines there. (You only need to speak portuguese, english and french)
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 09-04-2012 at 06:16 PM.
    00 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.3 4x4

Being raised in SoCal, my Spanish was pretty good, but it has slipped a bit with the passing of many years and no opportunity to use it. It's beautiful language. However, I still consider myself bi-lingual...I am fluent in profanity and have working knowledge of broken english.

I can read a good bit of Spanish and I can pick it up again when I'm around it for a while. I can read enough to make sense of German as well, but that's about it.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Some Spanish and a semesters worth of Arabic. Grades started to fall so I decided to stop taking it and focus on the classes going towards my degree. Might look into Rosetta Stone to help further my vocab

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith4816 View Post
    Some Spanish and a semesters worth of Arabic. Grades started to fall so I decided to stop taking it and focus on the classes going towards my degree. Might look into Rosetta Stone to help further my vocab
    I bought Rosetta Stone for my father in-law to learn to speak English, as he only speaks Portuguese, He's doing well with it, but is farrrrrrr from fluent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kady View Post
    I bought Rosetta Stone for my father in-law to learn to speak English, as he only speaks Portuguese, He's doing well with it, but is farrrrrrr from fluent.
    Does Rosetta Stone actually deliver? Is it really as good as the commercial say it is? I took three years of Spanish in HS (over ten years ago, lol) and have been wanting to pick it back up. I'm curious if Rosetta Stone is worth it.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Most of my family's construction company are Hispanic I've gotten pretty good with Spanish taking 4 years n high school and working with them all the time. Sometimes they speak way toast though. It's a dead language but I've done 4 years of latin gott down pretty good. I've gotta weird love for other languages I'm taking an extinct languages class it's pretty cool
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

My grandparent spoke German and they taught me growing up. They passed when I was 12yrs old and no one else spoke it. Then in the High School I went too, I had to take 2 years of language. They did not have Germen. I did one year of Spanish and one year of French. I took the easy way out. Now I only know English maybe if I took a German course it would come back. If you don’t use it, you lose it.
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    Does Rosetta Stone actually deliver? Is it really as good as the commercial say it is? I took three years of Spanish in HS (over ten years ago, lol) and have been wanting to pick it back up. I'm curious if Rosetta Stone is worth it.
    Now, his dad knew absolutely no english besides a word here or there... He's now having broken conversations with people who go over. I don't think he gets enough practice to be "good" at it... I mean, its not going to work over night, but its definitely helping. You have to practice with a microphone and it doesn't let you pass the level unless you're getting it right...

English is the hardest of the common languages to learn so I think anyone who can speak it as a second language is impressive.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by