GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Thinking of new exhaust.....how is this flowmaster

Mine has the stock exhaust and was looking to upgrade. Anyone have experience with this one:

Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust Systems

Found it in the Summit Rccing catalog. Going for 479.00. I want something that increases my exhaust note but not to the point I have to wear ear plugs............thats for the stereo...LOL

2003 Chevy Silverado LS Regular Cab Stepside in Tangier Orange (factory color)
    20" Baccarat black wheels and 285/50R20 tires
    Pretty much all stock for now but plans to upgrage stereo, exhaust, engine and other goodies.

well, not sure what engine you have, but i chopped my stock muffler out, and had a regular flowmaster 40 series welded in, sounds great! gave it some tone and a little rumble, and isnt to loud. 75 on the highway is just fine.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Sr. Mechanic

You can look on youtube for it. I found a video for one on my truck and it sounded pretty good I just don't want to dish the money out for it. I'm thinking about doing what you did Sierraowner5.3 and weld on probably the 50 delta.

We have a thread on here called truck tunes check it out. Not sure how many people have posted it though. I'd go to local exhaust shops and get a quote might be able to get a custom ran exhaust cheaper than the kit
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Just to give you an idea of prices. I was quoted $130 including muffler for a magnaflow muffler swap or $300 for a custom single in dual out exiting before rear tire. Flowmaster was about $10-$15 cheaper if I remember right.
    2006 Silverado Crewcab 5.3l, has a modified airbox with drop-in filter.
    Mods to come:
    Exhaust
    Tune
    Suspension
    More power!

Banks Monster Exhaust for the 5.3L with single side exit has a good sound and is stainless steel but has a price tag as always
    2005 Silverado 1500 5.3L 4x4
    285/70/17 Firestone Destination MT's
    17" Pro Comp Extreme Wheels
    2" ReadyLift Leveling Kit
    Blacked Out Grill and Front and Rear Bumpers (Painted By Me)
    PreRunner Light Bar (Removed) New Fabricated Bumper (coming soon)
    WeatherGuard Tool Box (Painted Also)

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    well, not sure what engine you have, but i chopped my stock muffler out, and had a regular flowmaster 40 series welded in, sounds great! gave it some tone and a little rumble, and isnt to loud. 75 on the highway is just fine.

Alex
    Pretty much the same here. I swapped out my stock muffler for a Flowmaster Super 50 which only cost me $100. My dad and I did all the labor and welding. It sounds great - not too loud at all but you know something is back there. Sounds great on acceleration and not annoying while cruising down the highway.

OP, save yourself several hundred dollars and just swap out the muffler. Unless you want the look of the two tail pipes out the back, then get the kit you linked.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!