GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tranny question

Sr. Mechanic

Default Tranny question

Hey guys some of you might notice I posted something similar a few weeks back. This past weekend I drove to Mobile from Tuscaloosa for Labor day well on the way down I had no problems with my transmission and also while I was there I pulled our boat to the river also with no problems. When I was on my way back to Tuscaloosa though I stopped about halfway to get some food. After getting back on the road I started noticing what felt like the transmission slipping each time I started going. I pulled off in a gas station to check the fluid, which was at good level. I did notice the tranny temp was at about 200 so I sat for awhile to let it cool down. I didn't have any problem after that. So my question is do I have a problem because I have taken it to two places and they say there is no code being shown?

At this point, I wouldn't go thumbing through the yellow pages looking for someone to rebuild it. Drive it and see if the symptoms return. If you don't have an auxiliary transmission cooler, add one!
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

X2 what moogvo said. I wouldn't worry about it until you feel it again. A lot of times it can be the computer crapping out. Of you end up taking it to a shop in Tuscaloosa look at the one down 10th by the old archebalds. Or there's one down frank thomas towards skyland
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Sr. Mechanic

Yeah I know I should probably add a cooler, I'll wait and see if it does it again cause I have to drive to Mobile again at the end of the month

I'm not sure what what year and type of vehicle you have but something to consider is this... Does it have a "tow/haul" button? If so, were you using it? I've heard that transmissions can overheat if the "tow/haul" button is not being used when the vehicle is towing/hauling.

Sr. Mechanic

It's an '04 Sierra 2500 and I use it when I tow of course but this was when I was heading back up to school.

My old work truck had a similar issue. I took it back to the dealer to have it looked at since it was still under warranty. They looked at it and reflashed the "computer" as they told me and the problem was corrected. I talked to my brother in law who works at an Aamoco trans shop to see if that was normal. He said he had heard of it in the passed so I felt a little better. Since it was a company truck I wasn't aloud to mess with the truck at all so I am not sure which tranny it had. Just an FYI. Good luck.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Sr. Mechanic

Reflashed the computer? Did they say why or what was wrong. Mine definitely isn't under a warranty only my wallet

My 6spd does something similar although there's no rhyme or reason to it. Had it in to the dealer a few times and each time they couldn't replicate it. They thought they fixed it saying that the computer program was wrong and thought I may have had it programmed, which I hadn't. Still get a slip once in awhile and hard shifts every once in awhile. Not sure if you have the same tranny, or if it's the same issue but good luck and keep us posted.
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light

Quote Originally Posted by sierra11 View Post
    Reflashed the computer? Did they say why or what was wrong. Mine definitely isn't under a warranty only my wallet
    They didn't say what was wrong. You know how the stealership is be vague and if that doesn't work be very vague!!

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast