GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Newbie from Athens GA

Hey guys. I'm a student at UGA, Junior year (Go DAWGS). My dad signed up for this forum hoping that we could get some expert advice.

I need some help with my 2004 Tahoe Z71 (4WD with 5.3L gas engine). Money is tight and I'm starting to have some issues with my engine (132,000 miles). A mechanic looked at it and told me that the intake manifold gasket needs replacing. It's idling rough when it's cold, but gets better as it warms up. We've replaced the plugs, wires and distributer cap already.

So I'm researching the Fel-Pro intake manifold gaskets. I see a teal colored one and one that's black (PermaDryPlus). My first question is: What's the better gasket to use? My dad's question is: Do these gaskets require an RTV sealant or not?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. We plan on doing the work ourselves on a weekend. My dad's pretty mechanical, so I hope we don't screw up my truck! I have confidence that we can do it.

Welcome to the site.grew up a bulldog, grandpa played under Wally butts and live a few miles down 316, but I'm I go to bama now. Hoping to see y'all in the sec championship, good luck with your repairs
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Welcome to GM Truck Club!

If you don't get a response in the next day or so on this then I recommend posting your inquiry in the 'Technical Forums' section as appropriate to the type of issue you have ... or in the 'GM Platforms' section specific to your vehicle. You'll reach a wider group of the forum members that way ... and target your inquiry more directly to those who might already have experience with it.

Welcome to the club, glad to have you. If you have not yet do what surreal said and re-post question in other thread
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you aboard.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Welcome to the G M T C !

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

I'm new here too but welcome to the club...................
    Shelli from Wade, Mississippi
    2006 GMC Yucon XL Navy Blue

Welcome to the club!

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!