GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Here is a good use for junk mail ... make a CEL tester

I keep getting these ads for car dealers in the mail, telling me I might have won a car, a billion dollars, etc. On the card, there is a plastic headed aluminum key that resembles a car key. I decided that I could make a key to read my pre-obd codes... I know - All you need is a paper clip, but 2 minutes with a dremel tool and I have my own ultra-cool code reader key.

Years ago, Auto Zone made a key similar to this that they gave away for free with a book of GM codes. It didn't look nearly as "finished" as this one.

With the Dremel and a cut off wheel, I lop off the part of the key that has the teeth. Then with the same wheel, cut a line down the center of the remaining part of the key. Finally, I will taper the edges with a sanding drum on the Dremel and fine tune it. Below is a picture of the key and a Photoshop of what I plan to do with at (as soon as my dremel recharges!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails promokeyreader.jpg  
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Well... Here it is... My new ALDL "key"... Now to make a book-O-codes to keep in the glove box...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-09-06_15-18-25_722.jpg   2012-09-06_15-18-09_785.jpg  

Blog Entries

For those of us uninformed, how does it read the codes? A series of CEL flashes?
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
    For those of us uninformed, how does it read the codes? A series of CEL flashes?
    Yes. That is correct.

... but what if that was the magic winning key?

Lol, nice one, i was thinking of taking all of those keys andmaking a fake key ring for the baby ... but then i worried about lead paint.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post

Lol, nice one, i was thinking of taking all of those keys andmaking a fake key ring for the baby ... but then i worried about lead paint.
    Obviously you've never heard George Carlins theory on why children now days get sicker than they did years ago, let'em lick the lead paint it puts a coating in their belly so they can eat hot foods later in life!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post

I don't think there is even any paint on them. They are silver through and through. I don't think they are aluminum though because they are way too stiff and they do stick to magnets. I don't believe they are brass. They are not plain steel because they don't rust (Many of them got played with outside and are still out there, taunting the mower)

I get it about the kids... Mine fight over them and I had to sneak this one out after they were at school and/or napping. LOL!

Good idea! It looks nice. I always take those type of ads and put them in the pre-approved credit card return envelopes and then mail them back to the credit card company. They pay for the stamp so I figure I may as well use it. Sometimes I put in an ad for bedBug removal or whatever crazy thing comes in the mail that day.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Good idea! It looks nice. I always take those type of ads and put them in the pre-approved credit card return envelopes and then mail them back to the credit card company. They pay for the stamp so I figure I may as well use it. Sometimes I put in an ad for bedBug removal or whatever crazy thing comes in the mail that day.
    I usually do the same thing! I usually try to mix different junk mail into the return envelopes instead of sending them their own junk back. Plus I figure it has to help justify the post office. They need all the work they can get to stay in business anyways.

2007 Silverado 1500 LT Ext Cab 4.8l, 2007 Suzuki XL-7, 2012 H-D Sportster "Seventy-Two"