GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Truck dies

Default Truck dies

My truck dies when i get to a stop sign. When i have the thermostat in the truck it always dies at stop signs. But when I dont have it in and after it heats up a little it will rev up and stay alive but it seems like a high idle. I have a brand new iac. new spark plug/ wires, distributor, the ignition control module has been test at autozone it was said to be good. any ideas?? its a 91 gmc 1500 4.3l 2wd

I do not know why the thermostat would cause that issue. I have seen trucks with low transfluid die when stopped. I added fluid to get it to the correct level and the truck ran fine.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I do not know why the thermostat would cause that issue. I have seen trucks with low transfluid die when stopped. I added fluid to get it to the correct level and the truck ran fine.
    Lack of a thermostat keeps it from getting to operating temp, and therefore the truck stays in open loop mode, running from pre-programmed tables in the computer. Check for vacuum leaks. Those can cause problems!
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    Lack of a thermostat keeps it from getting to operating temp, and therefore the truck stays in open loop mode, running from pre-programmed tables in the computer. Check for vacuum leaks. Those can cause problems!
    I knew that it would not get to operating temp, but did not even think about the open loop mode. Thanks @moogvo

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post

I figured out today my egr valve wasent working because the tube wasent tight enough so i fixed that. It only moves a little bit is that what its suppose to do. I sprayed so carbon cleaner on the egr and the truck reved up a little does that mean the egr valve gasket is bad? When take the tube off the mass air flow sensor it idles good... is that because of a vacuum leak?

Quote Originally Posted by djback View Post
    I figured out today my egr valve wasent working because the tube wasent tight enough so i fixed that. It only moves a little bit is that what its suppose to do. I sprayed so carbon cleaner on the egr and the truck reved up a little does that mean the egr valve gasket is bad? When take the tube off the mass air flow sensor it idles good... is that because of a vacuum leak?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0025.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	43837 does anyone know where this purple wire goes... its up by the firewall...