GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kady View Post
    Truth is, there really isn't anything you can do. In this day an age, people just have no respect for other peoples property. Window tint and better alarms won't stop them.
    Ain't that the truth! My truck was broken into back in '06 the same way schmule's was - screw driver under the lock. They stole my stereo head unit (which I took the face off of and took with me, odd) and tried to start my truck as my ignition switch and transmission lever were all jacked up. This was in the middle of the day in the middle of a busy parking lot. It amazes me how people don't notice the things that go on around them. If someone did see who did it, did they really just think the guy was doing a quick stereo install the parking lot of a sporting goods store? lol Or, like you said, why can't people just leave stuff alone that's not theirs?

Ever since then, I have wondered about anti-theft devices, like a piece of metal behind the lock to keep things from being stuck in there. I suppose a loud alarm is about all you can do. Like Kady said, there is no solid way to keep people out if they really want in, but if you had a loud enough alarm, hopefully the noise attracting a lot of attention will make the perp run off. My best efforts include trying not be a target. Tinted windows, not keeping valuables in the car, hiding things that are in the car, etc.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sigma.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	43672

If I caught someone breaking into my truck/home, this would be the only and last alarm they hear.

That really sucks. You didn't ask to see the surveillance tapes from the Cracker Barrel?

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Avital is also made by the same company as Viper and is a 2 way. I have the 3300L and I am very happy with it. It has a 1500 feet range and I have not had a false alarm yet. I have had mine for about 2 months so far. I agree that a good alarm is a great defense as well as a deterrent.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Jr. Apprentice

While I do conceal Carry both times I am lucky I have not had the gun in the Truck. I do have tint and I do realize that if they really want it the will get it. however I would like to make it as long and difficult as possible. I am going to look into the Alarms, the thing in the back as well as a cap the makes it look like you have uninstalled the lock. Anything to make me less of a target honestly. I noticed both times I had a suit jacket in the back and the Cops said that the thought is if you have a suit jacket hanging up you have money and would have valuables in the truck... guess I am not putting the suit jacket in the truck anymore haha.

I would say an alarm is the only major thing you can do. I would have another siren installed under the bed somewhere also. The louder the better. The 2 way alarms are nice. But, here is my question, do I want to go confront some criminal who is breaking into my truck? Chances are "No". Would it be nice to have a notice that someone is messing with the truck? Yes! But, it is a truck and my life or getting injured is not worth what is inside.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    There is a Co that makes a 1/8 steel peice that goes around the handle from the inside. If you do an alarm be SURE
    to get a Glass Brackage sensor It's a high pitched mic that would pick up a tap or your glass breaking
    that the Shock sensor will not.

Most alarms do NOT have a Glass sensor but it can be added for under $50.00..
    Hi can you post a link to the website selling a plate to install behind the doorhandle.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I would have to do a search for it.. I have seen it a few times just don't remember where...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Oooh, I know how you can guaruntee that they can't break in... Shave the door handles and locksand get remote openers... Goood luck though when your battery dies...
    00 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.3 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Kady View Post
    Oooh, I know how you can guaruntee that they can't break in... Shave the door handles and locksand get remote openers... Goood luck though when your battery dies...
    that won't help anything must crooks know about the manual popper if the battery dies in the truck or key fob.Unless your going to hide it behind the rear taillight.

Get some jimmi jammers,
    i have some but have yet to install them...
    a friend bought some for his f150 when i got mine and i helped him put them in his truck, wasnt too hard... because a few weeks before someone punched his drivers side lock in and opened the door stealing all his audio equipment while he was working out at golds gym. just havent got time to put mine in yet.
    however, i have a 2-way autopage alarm system, been amazing so far, although it claims to alert you within 3,000 feet, but i hardly see more than 100 feet :/
    i like the notification though. Also a friend of mine, when he bought his truck he got some sort of subscription to an iphone app which he can do ANYTHING with...
    he can check his oil level, gas, battery level, alarm status, inside temperature, start his truck, a/c, from ANYWHERE in the world. and if his alarm goes off it calls his phone, as opposed to my little alarm pager that sounds like a little gameboy tone playing when it goes off. I think that iphone app has to be the best idea ever.
    if i have the money, whenever i buy my first new truck, god be my witness, thats the ONLY accessory im adding to it.
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR