GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default What to use on black plastic body panels?

I could use some ideas here. I have a 2005 Yukon Xl. The back panels between the side glass and back window are starting to look a little faded. There is also "blueing" in some of the ridges. I am assuming that this is from a product that the last owner used on it. I prefer not to use a tire product as I hate when they streak down the paint. Being that the panels are a little textured I am afraid to put wax on them. Any Suggestions on a product to use on them? Here are some pics, as you can see it looks "whitish" in the grooves on the pics, the color is actually a blueish white. Thanks for the help!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	43662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0383.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	43663

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I just started using this product

http://303products.com/index.php/303...tant-32oz.html

So far I am very happy with it, use it sparingly and a little bit goes a long way. I also bring back the shine to dull looking plastics.
    2011 Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
    LED Dome light
    LED Floor lights
    RC Leveling kit
    Tow Mirrors Custom LED running/signal lights
    BakFlip G2 Tonneau Cover

Armor all has a new dust repelling wax that I started using at the beginning of the summer. It is not a carnauba based wax and it doesn't even feel like traditional wax once applied. It is magical on plastic parts and makes them look new again and the clean lasts for a long time.

It is a bit spendy, but really worth it. I have only had to wash my truck 2 to 3 times this summer. It just doesn't get dirty nearly as fast with this stuff on it.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Thanks guys. I will look into those products

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    Armor all has a new dust repelling wax that I started using at the beginning of the summer. It is not a carnauba based wax and it doesn't even feel like traditional wax once applied. It is magical on plastic parts and makes them look new again and the clean lasts for a long time.

It is a bit spendy, but really worth it. I have only had to wash my truck 2 to 3 times this summer. It just doesn't get dirty nearly as fast with this stuff on it.
    Is it called Armor All Extreme shield?

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Is it called Armor All Extreme shield?
    Yes. that's the stuff! My black door handles and plastic bumper covers came back to new looking without even working it in... Wipe it on, dry it off... Done!
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Sweet! Thanks! I will give it a try. It is not all that spendy considering what I used to pay for Meguiar's Medallion.

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Jr. Apprentice
    Just South of beautiful Charlotte North Carolina

Hello, K15 Blazer Guy. I like your signature.....speaks volumes. Anyhoo, I have been using http://www.notouch.ca/product/seriously-wet-33 for a long time on my truck. The plastic looks as good now as it did when it left the factory. There is a process though that's pretty easy. You want to spray it on when the sun is out and let it be absorbed into the areas for about an hour or two. After that, I take water with just a tad bit of dish washing detergent, such as Dawn, and clean the truck as normal. When I am done, I break out a spray bottle of 25% vinegar and water along with one Terry towel and one microfiber cloth. I spray the inside and outside windows with the mixture and wipe down with the Terry towel, followed by a light buff with the microfiber cloth to remove any haze or streaks.

The end result yields a quick process without pre-scrubbing or cleaning the plastic, a consistent satin "look" finish on all plastic and tires and spotless windows. The total elapsed time [minus the "set time" for the Seriously Wet] takes about 20-30 minutes for the entire truck. More if I really want to get anal with the detailing. Usually lasts about a month, which is about how often I usually wash the truck anyways.

If you have some really bad embedded dirt, paint, wax or other substance within the texture of the plastic(s), just stop by a car wash that has a hand held pressure washer wand or pressure wash the embedded foreign substance out of the plastic. Do not worry about any lines that the pressure washer causes. Once you try this quick and simple technique, they simply disappear.

One added note....using the vinegar mixture will reduce the amount of dust/smoke residue [if you are a smoker] that clings to the window and dramatically reduces the amount of "fog" haze or dew buildup when varying temperature conditions exist. Not only that, it has not seemed to affect the Rain-ex applications to the exterior of the windows at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaele View Post
    I just started using this product

http://303products.com/index.php/303...tant-32oz.html

So far I am very happy with it, use it sparingly and a little bit goes a long way. I also bring back the shine to dull looking plastics.
    Thanks, Jaele. I appreciate the advice. While I like the system I have, sometimes I'd like to buy a little bit more time between my cleaning process. Your recommendation just may be the ticket I'm looking for.

Tom