GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default What to use on black plastic body panels?

I could use some ideas here. I have a 2005 Yukon Xl. The back panels between the side glass and back window are starting to look a little faded. There is also "blueing" in some of the ridges. I am assuming that this is from a product that the last owner used on it. I prefer not to use a tire product as I hate when they streak down the paint. Being that the panels are a little textured I am afraid to put wax on them. Any Suggestions on a product to use on them? Here are some pics, as you can see it looks "whitish" in the grooves on the pics, the color is actually a blueish white. Thanks for the help!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	43662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0383.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	43663

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I just started using this product

http://303products.com/index.php/303...tant-32oz.html

So far I am very happy with it, use it sparingly and a little bit goes a long way. I also bring back the shine to dull looking plastics.
    2011 Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
    LED Dome light
    LED Floor lights
    RC Leveling kit
    Tow Mirrors Custom LED running/signal lights
    BakFlip G2 Tonneau Cover

Armor all has a new dust repelling wax that I started using at the beginning of the summer. It is not a carnauba based wax and it doesn't even feel like traditional wax once applied. It is magical on plastic parts and makes them look new again and the clean lasts for a long time.

It is a bit spendy, but really worth it. I have only had to wash my truck 2 to 3 times this summer. It just doesn't get dirty nearly as fast with this stuff on it.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    Armor all has a new dust repelling wax that I started using at the beginning of the summer. It is not a carnauba based wax and it doesn't even feel like traditional wax once applied. It is magical on plastic parts and makes them look new again and the clean lasts for a long time.

It is a bit spendy, but really worth it. I have only had to wash my truck 2 to 3 times this summer. It just doesn't get dirty nearly as fast with this stuff on it.
    Is it called Armor All Extreme shield?

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Is it called Armor All Extreme shield?
    Yes. that's the stuff! My black door handles and plastic bumper covers came back to new looking without even working it in... Wipe it on, dry it off... Done!

Sweet! Thanks! I will give it a try. It is not all that spendy considering what I used to pay for Meguiar's Medallion.

Hey @moogvo, I wanted to let you know that Autozone has a $10 rebate on that stuff right now! So I ended up paying $5.99 for it in the end. It worked great! the panels look brand new. I wish that I would have known about this stuff sooner. Here is a pic, it is hard to tell but the whitish spots are gone and it is solid black. Thanks again.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0394.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	43816

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Hey @moogvo, I wanted to let you know that Autozone has a $10 rebate on that stuff right now! So I ended up paying $5.99 for it in the end.
    Dude! You SUCK! I paid close to $20.00 per bottle for that stuff when it first came out! LOL! It is worth it and I will definitely buy it again... I think I may stock up on some today while it is on sale! (I was looking for a good excuse to go to the auto parts store...) LOL!

Glad you like it! It LASTS and LASTS! It's great on interior parts too! I also did my glass with it... you have to be careful with that to avoid streaks. Don't let it set too long. Once it dries it is a booger to get off!

Unfortunately, there is a limit of one rebate per household. I forgot to mention that I had a $20 reward at Autozone also, so I payed $7 out the door for the wax and a bottle of leather cleaner. Then I get the rebate so I made $3. I did the entire truck in it. The black on the rear bumper, on the mirrors, and around all the windows look brand new. I will try the glass also. I drive a dirt road alot and will be interested to see if the back window is covered in dust as usual. I have to say that I am a little disapointed about one thing. The fact that you knew about this product for an entire summer and did not share with us.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by