GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    I just read this write up on batteries;

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

So my thing is that I want batteries I can use with out having to run the engine longer than 5 minutes or so and worry about them draining too far that I have to be a jump when running 400-1000 watts through a stereo.

That would put me in a "Deep Cycle" battery. But most of the time, I am only using that much power when I am driving so the alternator is essentially ruining the deep cycle battery.

So if I want a battery or 2 batteries that can do what I want them to, and guarantee me at least 7 years of use between replacements, what do I go with?

If you trust the source at the link you provided (which is one of several I'm familiar with, as well), check the following parts of the FAQ:
    * Lifespan of Batteries
    * Using a deep cycle battery as a starting battery
    * AGM, or Absorbed Glass Mat Batteries

AGM batteries are listed in the lifespan table at 4-8 years. Fixed longevity numbers (a la the 7 years you want) are impossible to give due to the variables involved (and so states that FAQ). I'm personally always conservative and plan for the shortest lifespan of a given in a range ... then look for a warranty that covers beyond that range.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 09-11-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    If you trust the source at the link you provided (which is one I'm familiar with, as well), check the following parts of their FAQ:
    * Lifespan of Batteries
    * Using a deep cycle battery as a starting battery
    * AGM, or Absorbed Glass Mat Batteries

AGM batteries are listed in the lifespan table at 4-8 years. Fixed longevity numbers (a la the 7 years you want) are impossible to give due to the variables involved (and so states that FAQ). I'm personally always conservative and plan for the shortest lifespan of a given in a range ... then look for a warranty that covers beyond that range.
    I think the temperature also plays a part as well, In North Carolina we get the best of both worlds, we do not have extreme cold or long periods of extreme heat, so we "out weigh" the average on life expectancies of battries.

AGM batteries were developed for military use and, unsurprisingly, newer AGM batteries have the advantages of GEL batteries without the disadvantages.

Tom can offer additional insight...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123