GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default 4.8 Common problems

Hi

I wanted to ask what are some major problems members have had with there 4.8's 2007-Current model year.I read many people talk about the 5.3's but never the 4.8.

Myself heard some ticking with the 4.8 I drove and asked the dealer,but they said it was normal. I also heard the same noise on a 3.9 impala that I found out had a recall.

any input is great.

Blog Entries

The only time my 4.8 has ever ticked was when it was about a quart low on oil. You will find that the 4.8 has about the same issues as the 5.3 because they are virtually the same engine. Newer models will just have the same issues as the older ones since they don't have that 4 cylinder mode (whatever the hell it's called). My biggest pet peeve that I have had with the 4.8 (and it's not even the engine) is the stupid clunk from the rear drive line. As stated though, it's not the engine. It's a very stout and reliable motor when well maintained should keep you going. I have put roughly 70,000 on mine without any issues from the motor (almost 100,000 miles and now I need to change the water pump).

I notice that I have a small leak out of one of my valve covers, as stated the water pump needs replacing but that's all I can think of.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

The most common problem is a bad knock sensor under the intake. Water gets in if you are one to wash your engine a lot and corrodes the contacts. Otherwise, really reliable.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)