GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Optima batteries

now made in mexico!?!?!?!?!
    what in the hell???
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

Sadly it doesn't really surprise me
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

I'm not to shocked by this statement unfortunately. Seems like alot of what use to be made in the USA in now made in Mexico or some other foreign country.

2010 Silverado Z71

Kyle-USAF-MI/VA

"Fueled by Haters"

TCS front box 7"-9" set at 8.5" | FTS coilovers(blue coil) with resis and FTS shocks with resis| 20" Fuel Off-Road Revolver Rims | 35x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers | Halo Projector Head Lights by Recon- Black | Led Taillights by Recon- Smoked | Dumped Straight pipe | Volant CAI | Ranch Hand Front Bumper | DiabloSport Trinity Programmer | Tow Mirrors with Turn Signal | Cervinis Ram-Air hood | 4.56 USA gears with tru trac locker | Longshot Lighting 6000k 55w low beam and 6000k 35w fogs HIDs | 7" lift leaf spring | Blue TCS traction bars

Future Mods: Long tube headers
    | Custom tune | Cam | Stall Converter

Quote Originally Posted by reggiecab2000 View Post
    now made in mexico!?!?!?!?!
    what in the hell???
    This isn't news. Construction of the plant in Mexico commenced in 2000 and Optima batteries have been made in Mexico for the last ten years (or slightly longer). The U.S. plant was closed for good in 2009.

Prior to going the dual battery route my reserarch showed that reliability supposedly went down when manufacturing transitioned south of the border ... which is why I didn't and won't buy an Optima.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    This isn't news. Construction of the plant in Mexico commenced in 2000 and Optima batteries have been made in Mexico for the last ten years (or slightly longer). The U.S. plant was closed for good in 2009.

Prior to going the dual battery route my reserarch showed that reliability supposedly went down when manufacturing transitioned south of the border ... which is why I didn't and won't buy an Optima.
    well i just got one the other day and installed it...
    hopefully i will have some good results, i didnt do too too much research because when i researched them about a year ago people were still saying great things about them, so i hope to have luck with this one

I wish you luck with it, as well. I went with Die Hard Platinum AGM batteries as my research showed them to be re-branded Odyssey batteries ... with a better warranty than Odyssey batteries tend to have ... for less money than they tend to cost.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 09-10-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Those AGMs are very reliable surreal!

I hope so, they are stupidly priced. The nice part is that if one croaks I can just take it to a brick & mortar Sears shop pretty much anywhere and get it replaced.

Looking into these, not sure whether i should get the red top or yellow, i currently have 12" subs, a 1000 watt amp and a 180 watt head unit, the stock battery seems to function fine aslong as i dont leave the stereo playing with out the engine running, if i do then my battery will be flat after only an hour or two, im guessing i should probable get the yellow top since duration is one of my interests but perhaps the red is better than stock already and will suffice. I plan to add a winch, atleast 4 if not 8 lights, a air horn that will require a compressor and a cb so im thinkin i should get the yellow. Any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Before you waste your money on Optima Batt's Check out Kinetik http://www.kinetikaudio.com/2009/default.asp It's what more pro's are useing.. Odyssey also makes a good one..

As for what you have now Your radio does not give 180 watts it's about 18-22 X 4 at tops or about 80 watts Total What amp are you running?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by